Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share licence between work and home

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jasperpuss
1370 Views, 8 Replies

Share licence between work and home

Hi, my company has recently upgraded to Design Suite 2014 and upgraded the workstations to suit. I now have one of the old workstations at home running autocad 2014 making use of the licence share. My question is can I put the old version of Inventor (2010 or 11 I think it was) onto my home workstation and if so how would I activate it with regards to the new licence?

I know the designs will only be one way traffic in that I can design at home on 2010 and open at work in 2014.

Thanks in anticipation,

Andrew.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: jasperpuss

And why would you not install the same version at home?

In general you are allowed (by Autodesk and if your company approves) to install at work and at home provided both are not being used at the same time. 

So install design suite 2014 at home and have fun. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
jasperpuss
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi, I can't use our current design suite at home because I have one of our old workstations which does not meet the minimum system requirements to run the latest design suite, which is why I want to use the earlier version which it can cope with.

Thanks,

Andrew

Message 4 of 9
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I can't use our current design suite at home because I have one of our old workstations which does not meet the minimum system requirements to run the latest design suite, which is why I want to use the earlier version which it can cope with.

Thanks,

Andrew

And what exactly doesn't meet the requirements?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 9
jasperpuss
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi,

Company gets 64 bit machines to run 2014 design suite. Company sells off (sanitized) 32 bit machines to staff. I buy said 32 bit machine and install Autocad 2014 (just CAD not design suite). Company also still has the 2010 or 11 Inventor discs which the 32bit machine will run. My question is can I marry the current licence with the older version of Inventor?

Thanks,

Andrew

Message 6 of 9
jalger

The 2014 Suites also come in 32bit... So you could download them and install them.

You might need to get your IT To download it for you or have your contract Admin Give you rights to download (then download it at home).

Note:

A home use license can only be requested if you are on Subscription, legally you can only install on one machine if you do not have subs.

For Standalone Licenses you put the request in and they let you use the Same serial number, but for Network Licenses they require a few days to Generate a new standalone license for home use (or for a travelling laptop that is not used at the same time as the other computer).

My question is can I marry the current licence with the older version of Inventor?

NO, You need to use the old serial number to run the older program, but it will not activate since the suite was already updated. 

Assuming the License was upgraded you can use 3 version back (2015, 2014, 2013, 2012).

So 2010, 2011 are no longer "usable", without special permissions.

To activate an older version  of any product that has been upgraded you have to do a manual activation. ( the automatic used to work forthe 3 previous versions but something changed, and now only the most current will activate automatically)

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 7 of 9
dgorsman

Computer hardware isn't x32 or x64 (not unless this is Stonehenge-level hardware, in which case you have other problems).  The "bitness" is determined by the operating system.  If it has x32 Windows installed you could pick up x64 Windows along with some extra RAM and possibly a more modern video card, and it should meet requirements for more modern software.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 9
jasperpuss
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks but I don't want to throw money at this, I want to work around what I've got which is an XP O.S. and 1GB RAM, enough to run Inventor 4 or 5 years ago. If I can't do it then so be it.

Andrew

Message 9 of 9
jalger
in reply to: dgorsman

Only if the Motherboard / CPU is compatible. ( Dgorsman is right though, it has to be Really old for it not support 64bit)

You can get CPUs that will only work with 32 bit. (mostly pre pentium 4 - early 2000's ).

Anything Core 2 Duo or newer will likely take a 32 or 64 bit OS.

Keep in mind if it was an XP machine it will not install 2015 anyway...and avoid Vista and windows 8 or 8.1... yeah just go with Windows 7 64bit.

1gb of ram might not be enough for XP to run properly...

i hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report