Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadows on Rendered Images

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
SZaman
3529 Views, 16 Replies

Shadows on Rendered Images

I am trying to render some images for a work project and unfortunately there are some shadows that are appearing on the tank of the image that I would prefer not to be there. These shadows appear only on some of the rendered images, and I have been rendering using "Current lighting" setting, so I am confused why the images would look different. I have been checking the forums trying to see if there is a way to edit the current lighting style, but I did not find anything. Any help on this would be highly appreciated as this is delaying the progress of this particular project. I have attached an image of the system with the good lighting and one with the lighting that has the unwanted shadows (both using the "current lighting" style).

Thank you

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
mcgyvr
in reply to: SZaman

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVLT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-CD7AE61B-8796-48AD-9A5F-B7A4B1F399D8

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 17
SZaman
in reply to: mcgyvr

I forgot to mention that I am unchecking "Show Shadows" in scene styles under the environments tab. I was thinking in order to correct this issue, I would have to make adjustments to the "Current Lighting" lighting style, but I don't know how I can go about doing that.
Message 4 of 17
kmeldfreyssinet

Hi,

this ar abviusly two different modeles rendered.

Please post assemblies. It is impossible to tell anything not having them.

also please specify exactly what settings you have when you render.

From my experience this light styles do not quite work intuitiv. Had some problems with them.

Cris.

Message 5 of 17
SZaman
in reply to: kmeldfreyssinet

These assemblies consist of a lot of parts, and I do not think it would be efficient to post. Yes they are two different models but they are rendered using the same settings, however, one shows the shadows on the tank while the other doesn't. The rendering settings are as follows:

In Scene Styles:
-Forest (Gradient) scene style
- Background is solid color with "Use application options" unchecked
- Ground plane direction is current, "Show Shadows" unchecked and "Show Reflections" checked and positioned at 50%

In Render Image:
- Under general tab, Width 4000, Height 4000. Camera, Lighting Style set to current. Scene style set to Forest (Gradient). Render type set to Shaded
- Under output tab, High antialiasing selected.
- Under style tab, "True Reflection" unchecked.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know, or if there is a better way for me to post the assembly, so that you don't require all the parts for it.

Thank you,

Shawn

Message 6 of 17
kmeldfreyssinet

OK

than please make copies of this assemblies.

Remove most of parts, just leave some to produce shadows and post those.

Cris.

Message 7 of 17
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
 I would have to make adjustments to the "Current Lighting" lighting style, but I don't know how I can go about doing that.

No need to post your assemblies at all IMO...

Read the link I posted. It tells you exactly how to modify lighting in the studio environment.

OR.. many of us are simply doing "renderings" directly from the iam environment by setting "Visual Style" to "realistic" and then turning on "raytracing".

Those are in the view tab..appearance section. 

You also have control over shadows,etc.. there. IMO "Studio" is just about dead/obsolete as you can get faster/same quality images simply using raytracing and not even going into the studio environment at all. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 17
SZaman

I tried playing around with the realistic visual style and I like the way that looks, and a lot easier. How would I go about getting the image file? Would it be just a screen shot?

In the case that my marketing department does not like this style, I still have some questions with rendering using the studio. I seen in the link how to modify lighting styles, but could not seem to find a way to modify the "Current lighting" style. I believe it might be a default lighting style.

Thank you.

Shawn
Message 9 of 17
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
I tried playing around with the realistic visual style and I like the way that looks, and a lot easier. How would I go about getting the image file? Would it be just a screen shot?

My fav is the snipping tool that comes with Windows now (7 and on I believe)

or you can simply "save copy as" to a png or other suitable image format.

I typically turn off the 3d indicator (tools..application options..display tab.. uncheck "Show origin 3d indicator" ) so it doesn't show up in your images and I will usually set the color scheme to "presentation" to get a nice white background.

as to your second question.. I'm fairly sure that (been a while since I used studio) "Current lighting" is the "active" (made active by right clicking on it in the list) lighting style from the "Lighting Styles" in studio. (the lighting styles button in the scene section of the ribbon)

I find a simple way to start to figure out whats going on is to just make one of the lights pink or similar to it clearly stands out.. 

and don't forget you can change "raytracing" (not using studio) to get "better" or "best" quality which will increase the anti-aliasing and take the "grain" out of it. 

You can get just as good if not better images from simply raytracing. Studio is just about useless now 🙂 (assuming you don't do animation)

Message 10 of 17
SZaman

There are some issues that are occuring when changing the visual style. Some of the components appear to be a different color, and some different shadows are appearing now. Fortunately this was where I found the location of the current lighting, and I made copies and have been playing around with them, however, I have not found a solution to the color change. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Shawn 

Message 11 of 17
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

There are some issues that are occuring when changing the visual style. Some of the components appear to be a different color, and some different shadows are appearing now. Fortunately this was where I found the location of the current lighting, and I made copies and have been playing around with them, however, I have not found a solution to the color change. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Shawn 

Lighting effects colors.. simple as that. Just like real world. Different lighting makes colors look different.  

Message 12 of 17
Daniel248

Please don't write off Inventor Studio just yet.

IMHO it's neither obsolete nor useless - I for one, quite like using it 😉

Where there's a will, there's a way - here's just a quick example done in Studio (attached).

(Not sure this was good enough to make it into the Friday Pics, so never sent it there before)

Message 13 of 17
SZaman
in reply to: Daniel248

That looks really good! What set up did you do for that? Custom lighting? I was able to get a better image with studio by removing some of the lights and adjusting their intensity level, but still not perfect. 

Shawn

Message 14 of 17
Daniel248

Hi Shawn,

There is no easy way for me to explain everything in a short post.

If you're able to send me the files (i guess too large to post here), I'll try and find a setting that works well for you. I use PDSU 2014.

My email is dvofficemail at gmail dot com

We can share the results here and discuss afterwards, for the benefit of the group.

Regards,

Danny  

Message 15 of 17
mcgyvr

I've found the best way to get good renderings is to understand all the settings with lighting and colors and learn to edit/modify them.

Then pick 1 aspect you don't like and start adjusting till you do.. Then pick the next and on and on..

It really is a trial/error thing. 

Message 16 of 17
SZaman

It is going to be a big file, and our system has all the parts linked to different folders so it won't be efficient. Thanks for the help though.

Shawn
Message 17 of 17
SZaman

That's essentially what I have been doing...it's a bit of a pain, but slowly getting through.

Thanks for your help,

Shawn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report