Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shaded with edges (not hidden)

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
JamieVJohnson2
3144 Views, 20 Replies

Shaded with edges (not hidden)

Inventor 2014,

I am getting display of hidden edges (in fuzzy grey with shadows, like wireframe with hidden edges) while using shaded with Edges.  At first they don't display, but when I pan zoom orbit, they show up to stay.  When I switch to shaded with hidded edges, the same edges turn blue.  When I switch to shaded, they completely disappear.  So it's the Shaded with edges view that has this problem.  I have also noticed it to be random files or some unknown commonality.  Files were created using Inventor 2013.  I'm not running Express mode, which is much fuzzier.

I did not see this during beta testing.  I have a Radeon HD 5990 (2GB) - running like a champ, Intel I7- 930, and 12GB ram running Windows 7 (ultimate) 64bit.  Inventor 2013, and 2014 are both installed.

Has anybody else seen this effect, or know about a solution?

jvj

jvj
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Untitled.jpgNew development, I discovered the problem is directly related to Ambient Shadows; turn them off and it goes away.  And it DOES happen whenever I'm in shaded with or without lines.  The problem is most persistent when I zoom in to see a closer level of detail related to the assembly's overall size (1:200 or so).

AMD just came out with a new driver (yesterday), and it didn't help.  I believe the ambient shadow calculator is leaking code into the hidden lines calculator, and returning grey hidden lines, and hidden shadows.  Still no fix, and I like ambient shadows (because we mainly work with steel - lots of monochrome grey), so no work around either.

jvj
Message 3 of 21
blair
in reply to: JamieVJohnson2

Capture1.JPGI'm seeing the same thing with Nvidia. Normally I don't work with "Ambiant Shaded". The control box is a sub-assembly and I am getting "bleed-through" of the main box of the gauge and some items behind the open door as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 21
JamieVJohnson2
in reply to: blair

To Autodesk Developers,

I don't like to be pushy, but this issue is rapidly becomming a deal breaker for me.  It causes dramatic slowdown in Inventor's pan, zoom, and orbit performance.  My team will start training this week on this program, and I would prefer to not have to dissapoint them.  Can you report on the progress of this fix, and when you can have a hotfix ready?

Thank you,

jvj
Message 5 of 21
blair

You might want to log a support call. Not sure how may Autodesk employees troll this forum

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 21
mrattray

Does the problem persist when you turn shadows off? If not, then why don't you turn them off; at least until a fix is provided. I doubt any fixes are going to come down the pipes by week's end.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 21
JamieVJohnson2
in reply to: mrattray

In addition to that graphics issue, there is this one too.  It happens notably when the inventor window is forced to use a certain screen size (pixels x,y such as 1024x800), while other screen sizes don't do it.  In this case I have 2 monitors using 1920x1200, and I just dragged Inventor into the second monitor.

If it ain't broke don't fix it...  But this IS BROKEN!!

Capture2.JPG

jvj
Message 8 of 21
swhite

Check your edges color option.

Shaded edges.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 9 of 21
JamieVJohnson2
in reply to: swhite

Tried it, don't like black, but either way, it didn't resolve the problem.  I still have protruding shadows. (but now with black edge lines).  Next idea?  Or hot fix?

jvj
Message 10 of 21
sam_m
in reply to: blair

could these shadows be down to the new graphics system?

new multi-core graphics system - can it been forced to run on only 1 core?

new "intelligent" drawing order (something about largest parts being drawn 1st, etc.) - could it be creating shadows without thinking what smaller items are in front of them?  Just a thought

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 11 of 21
swhite

I am using a NVIDIA card (Quadro 600) but only get that bleed thru effect when I have some of my parts set to transparency, such as expanded metal. My settings are set for performance, and even so the jaggies aint that bad.

Bleed thru.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 12 of 21
JamieVJohnson2
in reply to: sam_m

new graphics system...I'm sure of it.  Didn't have any of these problems in 2011, 12, or 13.

Multi-core graphics...  When I opened these files they barely bled into another core (4 core i7) ran as much as 30percent (1 core plus 1/5 of a second core).  When zooming in and out there was a threshold that would cause this effect, but that threshold was not absolute, it would change a little (one middle button roll click in or out would cause the shadows to appear or disappear).  During scroll wheel zooming, the CPU level would stay down around 15% never using second core when turning on shadows.

intelligent drawing order... likely the biggest culprit.  The order is placing shadows before surface occlusion, during certain levels of zoom detail.  Not too intelligent, shadows are expensive processing, unless all shadows are processed only once (old ACAD 3D engine process where ray tracing is calculated once and reused regardless of angle, and stored as a data file).  If shadows are processed that way, then they could be reused faster, accept they forgot to call down the occlusion feature to weed out which shadows are shown at certain zoomed in detail levels. I'm assuming shadows were calculated at several sizes.  Zoomed way out (little shadow calcs), zoom way in (detailed shadow calcs), are the obvious levels.  This would explain why the issue is predominant when zoomed in. It is possible that the second level is the only one with the error.

This is causing all shadows to be displayed at the close detail levels making it difficult to understand the outer surfaces.  Since I am accustomed to working in old 3D wireframe, I can survive, but I'm sure I'm the only one of my staff that can.

jvj
Message 13 of 21
JamieVJohnson2

Your image is not using ambient shadows. so you don't have the problem at all, here.
jvj
Message 14 of 21
swhite

With Ambient Shadows.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 15 of 21
JamieVJohnson2

Being transparent parts, I'd expect the view I see.

Question, if you zoom way in to a detailed part say a bolt, do ambient shadows display through NON transparent parts?
jvj
Message 16 of 21
swhite

Actually when i zoom in everything displays correctly.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 17 of 21
JamieVJohnson2

Unfortunately update 1 does not address this issue.  Nor did it address the issue of the scrambling display.  I'd think that the graphics performance of the program is way more important than the small bugs they fixed.

jvj
Message 18 of 21

BTW it doesn't matter if I'm using quality, performance, or compatibility mode.

jvj
Message 19 of 21

Fair warning, if you get this type display, first thing you should do is save any unsaved work in Inventor.  Just pressing the windows restore down button can potentially crash Inventor at this point.

jvj
Message 20 of 21

For the scrambled screen issue, remove these registry keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion18.0\System\Preferences\Display]

"OGSSupport"=dword:00000002
"OGSMultiSampLevel"=dword:00000002
"OGSFallbackLevel"=dword:00000000

Thou has slain the Jabberwocky... Well at least one of them.

Later,

jvj

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report