Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several Problems

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
threedeenut
827 Views, 19 Replies

Several Problems

Hello All,

I am trying to get my inventor 2013 to work properly.  Ive been living with it as the problems are really in places where I dont "need" the features all the time.  But now, im in a situation where I do need the features to complete the project.  I have a feeling this is all because I installed invento on a separate drive as my main drive is a small SSD and I just dont have the space to hold inventor. 

Ok, so....

Problem 1 - Pack and Go (search Function specifically) does not work.  It say "cant find the plug in".  I looked for a place where this file may be referenced, but could nto find it.

Problem 2 - None of the content center stuff works at all.  Ive tried to locate and select the location but it seems to not like the directory....  I select it, still no good.  If I click on the design assistant and nothing happens.

As a humble recommendation to the autodesk inventor team, please simplify the install process.  At least have an option to be like "install everything to a selected drive".  I believe this would aleviate many of these problems.  Trying to figure out where and what should be placed where is very difficult.  I am not a novice and found myself panicing trying to figure out where everything should be.  I was installing a suite but still, what a very overly complicated install system.

Inventor 2013

Windows 8

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Cadmanto
in reply to: threedeenut

Not sure about the pack and go, but as far as the CC, have you tried looking at the addins?

tools.PNG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 20
threedeenut
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks for the quick response, ill look into that now and report my findings.

Message 4 of 20
threedeenut

It looks to me like everything is aok in that window.  2 Things seem to not load, but they may want to be that way, im not sure.  Ive included some images to show you.

Message 5 of 20
Cadmanto

Those pretty much look the same as what I got.

The only other thing I can think of is has anything changed with your .ipj file?  Master Project file?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 20
threedeenut

it does not matter, if i choose to creat a new project, it does not fix it.  Maybe im not understanding, but im pretty sure that is not the issue.  I believe its got to do more with the location settings..  See images below.  This is so very frustrating.  It just does not tell you what is wrong, it just does not work.  Well the search problem says its a plug in issue, but i dont see anywhere to choose the location.

Grrr,  Drives me crazy this is even an issue.  Id re-install if it were not such a nightmare of a job. In all honesty ive never seen such a complicated, confusing and difficult install process (unless you just say "install where you want").  I just dont want to re-install right now, its such a big job...  I am near certain its just something pointing wrong. 

By the way, thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 20
GSE_Dan_A

When you navigate to the directory of the CC shown in the CC tab (Application Options) on your computer do you see all the files as shown in my screen shot....

CC IMAGE 2.jpg\

CC IMAGE 1.jpg

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 8 of 20
threedeenut
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

It appears so....

Message 9 of 20
threedeenut

I wonder....

in the content center tab inside options I found this reference...  may its the culprit?  It seems to point to the same directory as the other content center location noted above.  Seems redundant and therefore possibly problematic.

Message 10 of 20
sam_m

Inventor 2013 isn't (yet, if ever) supported on Windows 8, so you may well be hitting issues with incompatability if you have installed Inventor as recommended (AV off, UAC off, etc).

You may need to reinstall on Win7 to get it working as expected...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 11 of 20
threedeenut
in reply to: sam_m

That is a major league bummer.  We just upgraded (from 2012) beacuse my original laptop runnning inventor (on win7) was stolen and we were led to belive that invetor 2013 ran on 8.  We spent a whole lot of money for this to not work =/

Sigh, just another in the laundry list of reasons to hate windows 8.  What an absolute nightamre OS.

Message 12 of 20
sam_m

sorry to say but at the moment Inventor 2014 is the only release officially supported/compatible with Windows 8...

system requirements for Inventor:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15402497&linkID=9242018

Autodesk's Win8 compatability list:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19048377&linkID=12305695

I believe a few users have got Inventor 2013 to work on Win8, but there's no mention/guide of how much of it works...  Obviously, if someone doesn't use any specific features that have problems then they're oblivious and think it's fully working, which only causes confusion here when they said it's all working fine for them...

Hopefully 2013 support will be resolved with a service pack, but it's been a while since Win8 has been released (and even longer since the dev team have been working with it) and nothing for 2013, so the cynic in me thinks there's more problems with 2013 and Win8 than can be fixed easily...  If that makes sense...

Some of your problems might be fixable, but before sticking your head under the hood to clean plugs and check the battery at least make sure you've not filled your car with diesel...

Sam M.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 13 of 20
threedeenut
in reply to: sam_m

ok, thanks.  Ill see if our subscription covers 2014.  Maybe it does.

Thanks for all your help.  This has been very frustrating indeed.  Nice to know all the people on this forum are willing to pitch in a hand.  Ive given out kudos as librally as possible.

Argh....  what a nightmare.

Message 14 of 20
sam_m

I know it doesn't help at all, but I'm sure you're not the only one stung/surprised by Win8 and 2013.

Without wanting to sound like 2014 is dodgy... but if your workflow involves raytraced rendering then stick with 2013 and use Win7...  It seems like there's a major issue with the raytracing within 2014 (I've not seen any posts suggesting Studio is affected too, just the realistic raytracing mode), so if you need nice raytraced renderings then I thought I'd warn you before getting frustrated (again)...

If you try to stick with 2013 and Win8 then it sounds like the 8.1 update for windows causes more issues:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Autodesk-Inventor-2013-and-Windows-8-1-Desktop-Previ...

Sam M.

Message 15 of 20
Harry_G

@3Dnut

you should separate content center files from the content center libraries that are just the recipes to bake the cc files.

whatIveGot4 shows the list of cc libraries and whatIveGot6 shows their location. That's ok.

The setting in whatIveGot5 tell Inventor to store the cc files in the same location. That's bad - you suspected that already. Please choose a different folder. If you have a file server available that would be a good place.

Message 16 of 20
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Harry_G

@Harry_G wrote:

@3dnut

you should separate content center files from the content center libraries that are just the recipes to bake the cc files.

whatIveGot4 shows the list of cc libraries and whatIveGot6 shows their location. That's ok.

The setting in whatIveGot5 tell Inventor to store the cc files in the same location. That's bad - you suspected that already. Please choose a different folder. If you have a file server available that would be a good place.

Hi Harry_G,

I just wanted to add to your information, for further clarification. So I'm going to restate what you typed and add to it one extra bit just so that it's clear.

The path that is set by going to the Tools tab > Application Options button > Content Center tab, sets the location of the Content Center libraries (recipes).

The path that is set by going to the Tools tab > Application Options button > File tab, sets the location of the Content Center files (parts generated from the recipes).

But it's important to know that the path set by going to the Tools tab > Application Options button > File tab can be overriden in the project file. That is to say that if you edit your project file (*.ipj)  and set at path in the Folder Options > Content Center Files , Inventor will ignore the CC file path found by going to the Tools tab > Application Options button > File tab, and will just use the path set in the project file. 

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 17 of 20
threedeenut

k, thats good to know.  I am not sure though.  I do use the raytraced but i NEED pack and go.  Really wish i could just make it work =/

Thanks for all your help anyhow.

Message 18 of 20

Thanks Curtis and Harry

Ok, so I changed the location in the "files" tab.  I created a new folder on my F drive and set it to that.  Unfortunately the content center stuff is still broken. =(  Id assume this was what you meant for me to do right?

Thanks

Message 19 of 20
threedeenut

I also seem to have my folder for my project file set to [default].  Just figured it may help to know.

Attachement shows this.

Message 20 of 20
threedeenut

another thing not working...

VBA Editor and Macros

Wonder if this has anything to do with it.  I wouldnt be surprised if the VB is used to access content center files.  Just a shot in the dark, but id think it plausible to be concerned with this as well.

=/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report