Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting the pivot position whilst orbit'ing

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
philip.millard
2300 Views, 11 Replies

Setting the pivot position whilst orbit'ing

If you hold down F4 to orbit in 3D (equally press the Orbit button under view on the ribbon) you can temporarily set the orbit pivot position by left clicking the mouse.
I have a 3D mouse (3dconnexion spaceball 5000) installed on my workstation so can perform the same view manipulations without technically having to enable the orbit command. But I can't change the pivot position unless I activate the orbit command and then left click - making the main advantage of a 3D mouse for me a bit of a nonsense..

Does anyone know the command/key combination that allows me to setup a custom button to set the orbit pivot position?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
saeplY470
in reply to: philip.millard

Go into the 3d connexion control panel and then button configuration click on custom functions...and then new. call It orbit and then click in the User Macro box and press the following keys on your keyboard: alt v b enter Save it and then when you go into the options for the button your macro will be there for you to assign to that button
Message 3 of 12
-niels-
in reply to: saeplY470

No need for a custom macro, the inventor button mapper has that option built in.

ButtonMapping_3Dx.png

There is no way, that i know of, to get a new pivot point using only the 3D controller, you'll always have to click the point you want to pivot around.

But setting the orbit command to one of the buttons does make it easier.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 12
cwhetten
in reply to: -niels-

Hi niels, how do I find the editor you showed?  Is that a separate add-in, or is it part of the 3Dconnexion software that installs with the drivers?

I have used the macro method that splett mentioned, but my button mapping doesn't seem to stick.  Every time I launch Inventor, I have to re-map (even though I have saved the button configuration in the 3Dconnexion properties).  It's too much of a pain, so I stopped doing it.  Now I just reach over to my keyboard, press F4 and pick a new orbit center.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 5 of 12
blair
in reply to: cwhetten

Select the 3D Connexion icon in Inventor in the Add-Ins Tab

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 12
cwhetten
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:
Select the 3D Connexion icon in Inventor in the Add-Ins Tab

Oh!  There it is!  I guess it pays to snoop around the ribbon once in a while.

Thanks!

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 7 of 12
saeplY470
in reply to: philip.millard

That's great!

So much better than a macro.

A note: you have to be in an assembly for the free orbit option to appear in the list

Message 8 of 12
blair

Not your fault, they (3dConnexion) should make their icon look more like their icon in the notification bar

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 12
cwhetten

@saeplY470 wrote:

That's great!

So much better than a macro.

A note: you have to be in an assembly for the free orbit option to appear in the list

Also, I noticed that it has different settings for different document types.  So, if you set it up while an assembly document is active, you will need to set it up again when a part document is active.

But, yeah, so much better than a macro.  (Give niels and blair some kudos for the great info!  Smiley Happy )

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 10 of 12
cwhetten
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:
Not your fault, they (3dConnexion) should make their icon look more like their icon in the notification bar

What is that icon supposed to be, anyway?  At least the notification icon looks like a stylized logo...

3Dconnexion Inventor Add-In Icon Mystery Thingy   <---- ?

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 11 of 12
blair

I don't have the foggiest, when you hover the mouse over it, it only states button mapping and nothing about 3dConx. That's why I said it's not your fault, I actually had someone from 3dConnexion show me one time.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 12
-niels-

Sorry for not replying, but i usually don't visit the forum over the weekend.
Blair jumped in and explained nicely though.

As for the icon, i guess it's supposed to resemble the device a bit.
At least the Spacepilot i have with the LCD display at the top "kinda" resembles the icon, if i squint and tilt my head 😄

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report