Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Standards in Styles Library

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Cadmanto
769 Views, 8 Replies

Setting Standards in Styles Library

We have three divisions in my company.  Each division uses a different set of drawing templates.

With all of that said, in my division we are trying to setup a certain said standard that was copied from the out of the box standard ANSI one as a starting point.  We were hoping to have this standard reside only in our drawing templates, but the way the styles is handling it, it would appear that this standard has to be updated/added to the global styles library.

Is this a true statement that this has to be a global styles update or is there a way to have a said standard be the default setting within just certain drawing templates without being seen or affecting other drawing templates?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

You should be able to setup a new project file for each division and point each one to a different style library location.

But No when using a style library there is no way to tell a certain template to default to one style vs the other.. It would be really nice and has been requested multiple times I'm sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks.  I knew that having a different master project file would do it, but currently they only want to have one project file.  I thought this might have been the case, but given the hand of cards I have been dealt, I just wanted to make sure.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 9

Hi Cadmanto, 

You can set your drawing templates to default to an Active Standard, by going to the Tools tab > Options panel > Document Settings button > Standard tab.

But there isn't realy anything to stop a user from switching to a different standard or using a style from a different standard without using mcgyvr's suggestion.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 9

Thanks Curtis,

Setting the standard is not the issue.  Setting default selections within the standard are the issue without

making the changes global through out the entire company.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 9

Hi Cadmanto, 

I see. I thought you were setting up a different Standard for each company division. If it would be acceptable to have division standards, then that might be a solution, but that might not be acceptable.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Wow..never noticed that before Curtis..

Setting up a different standard for each division would be the best way to accomplish this IMO.. Kind of a funky workaround but none the less a perfect way to accomplish the task without resorting to different project files.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 9

Hi Curtis,

You are very right.  I am trying to get a different standard for each division.  The problem is I have to get approval from the heads of the other divisions in order to change the styles library even when it comes to creating a new standard with different defaults.  That is why I started this thread to see if just in case I might have been missing something if there was a way to change the defaults on a per drawing template basis (even though I suspected this was not possible) with the thinking if there was this would be a great way to go without having to affect the other divisions.

But based on the suggestion of having a different master project file for each division (which in my humble opinion would be the best route to take) I have started the ground work towards that in seeing why we are so adamant about having just the one.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: mcgyvr

After doing some further investigation I was reminded that our VAR suggested we go with one master project file because having multiple MP files would not only mean the constant chaing of the vault MP options setting, but would also force users to be constantly switching depending on the file opened up from the vault.

Not loking like this is a very good option.  Looking like more and more that simple establishing a new standard would be a good choice.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report