Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set hatch boundary around dimension text

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
miechh
4879 Views, 9 Replies

Set hatch boundary around dimension text

I was just asking myself: Is there a way to control the boundary width around dimension texts to cut out from a hatch background? I can't seem to find the settings for this, but maybe I'm missing something. Help is greatly appreciated.

Dimensiontext Hatch Boundary

Product Design Suite 2024
Inventor 2024 (v 28.20.27200.0000), Vault Basic 2024
Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mpatchus
in reply to: miechh

I believe it is controlled by the "GAP" dimension in the Dimension Style DISPLAY Tab.

Unfortunately the same dimension controls the Dimension Offset from the line (at least in 2012).

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 10
miechh
in reply to: mpatchus

I was thinking the same, but it seems it doesn't. Because the hatching then should be visible again from below the dimension line (see picture above).

Product Design Suite 2024
Inventor 2024 (v 28.20.27200.0000), Vault Basic 2024
Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Message 4 of 10
mpatchus

I hear what you are saying, I think the GAP dimension is actually to the edge of the boundary.

But it does appear that the GAP dimension controls the overall hatch boundary.

See the comparable images.

Small Gap.JPG

Large Gap.JPG

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 10
A_Harro
in reply to: mpatchus

Please excuse my dumb question here.. but how did you get the text to hide the hatching behind? Was this hatching part of a section view on a drawing ?

I have never ever been able to put dimensions over the top of any drawing element, whether it be in drawing view or sectional hatch lines. see below image. it drives me crazy!!

dimdisplay.JPG

In version 2012 we were able to overcome the issue with symbols by editing the symbol definition and filling the background to white. this would work ok to cutout the background data. however, since we upgraded to 2014, this behaviour doesnt work with white fill (other colors work surprisingly).. so to get nothing shown behind the symbol we have to use the breakout option , which is a pain.

Am i missing something so obvious here? Can i get pointed in the right direction. Thanks

Anne.

Inv 2014 pro sp2

Message 6 of 10
mpatchus
in reply to: A_Harro

Dimensions placed inside a section view will automatically "hide" the cross hatching.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Message 7 of 10
okaleja

Hello Anne,

From the screenshot it looks that you want to clip the view geometry. Currently, annotation text clips geometry of other annotations only (dimension lines, leaders, hatch, ...). It doesn't touch the view geometry in any way.

Oto

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 8 of 10
A_Harro
in reply to: okaleja

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was hoping it was just some setting i missed, but i guess not.

I never want to use this statement when discussing Inventor; "but in autocad".... you can set the dimensions to have background fill so it will 'clip' the drawing. Can we get this in a future release someday, im sick of doing a work-a-round to achieve white fill behind dimensions.

cheers guys!

Message 9 of 10
okaleja

Please post your request on Idea Station so other people can vote for it.

Thanks,

Oto

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 10 of 10
vuchkobg

Hi all,

we came up to the same problem, and couldn't find an answer in forums, but still found it Smiley Happy! This setting is to be found under the *.idw -> Document Settings, Drawing TAB, "Cross Hatch Clipping". Should be checked:

CrossHatchClipping.PNG

BR, VuCHkO

b

BR,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report