Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious network instability after installation

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
alexg591
600 Views, 6 Replies

Serious network instability after installation

Hello all,

I'm a university student and FIRST robotics mentor using an educational license of inventor 2014 on windows 8.1, although I have encountered this problem with AutoCad Electrical as well on the same computer. After installation, my network connection becomes incredibly unstable. Sometimes it will go for hours without issues, but at other times (and beginning directly after installing Inventor), it will cease to work, much of the time with no indication in the windows control panel. Ping tests however fail to access any websites or even my own router. The issues also appear to affect wired connections (though I have not tested that as thoroughly). Perhaps the largest issue though is that neither uninstalling all autodesk software or even a system restore fix the problem, only a full reinstall of windows. I have performed 3 different installs, over varying time periods to make sure that the problem is not occuring before the install, and each time the problem appears when I install Inventor. I thought it was a problem with Akamai netsession which is part of the "install now" process, so on the third try I used a browser download, but the network issues STILL surfaced. This is maddening. I have reinstalled windows 3 times because of this, and I'm running out of time (I return to school on Sunday and classes begin Monday). I haven't been able to find any information about this problem, so I figured I'd post here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: alexg591

Make sure that you have installed all the Service packs and Hotfixes for Inventor. There is a link at the bottom of this web-page. You may also need to select the Inventor icon from the Start-Menu and use the RMB and select "Run as Administrator"

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
chad38

This is an issue with windows 8.1. I read about it a week or so ago about how people who updated to 8.1 would keep losing wireless network connectivity. I'll look for the article.....

Here is one. However searching for "windows 8.1 connectivity" turns up lots of articles having to do with this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-8.1-wireless-networking-ipconfig,25555.html

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 4 of 7
alexg591

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense that this is a driver/OS problem, since I am writing this on Linux on the same laptop with zero connectivity issues. However, I'm not sure why the problem only surfaces for me when I install Autodesk software; I had been running 8.1 since about a week after it launched and I had no issues. I still have the OEM windows 8 image, so I guess I'll just reinstall that and hold off on the update to 8.1 for a while.

Message 5 of 7
chad38

There are ways to fix it without rolling back to windows 8. How to fix depends on what your hardware is, but you can find many fix methods out there if you look.

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 6 of 7
alexg591

As of now, it looks like the fix mentioned in the Tom's Hardware article is working. I'm not sure how long it will last, but at any rate, my opinion has been swayed and this is probably not an autodesk issue. Thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 7
chad38

Hey I'm just glad an article I read a couple weeks ago actually came in handy. Glad to help.

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report