Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequential Task: Check In to Vault subtasks fail after 1st

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
autodesk.admins
241 Views, 1 Reply

Sequential Task: Check In to Vault subtasks fail after 1st

I'm having a problem with the Task Scheduler in Inventor 2014 (PDS Std 2014). This is a clean install with sp1 and sp1 Update 3 but no other hotfixes. Vault Client has sp2 and sp2 Cumulative Hotfix 1.

In a Sequential Task consisting of 4 Check In to Vault subtasks, only the first Check In subtask runs correctly. For the next 3, no files are found and none are checked in. The Seq. Task log shows: "This task has processed 0 file(s) out of which 0 file(s) failed" for subtasks 2 to 4. No error dialog is generated; the progress window shows subtask 1 running normally, then it shows subtasks 2 and on finishing almost instantly & acts as though the Seq. Task completed normally.

There's nothing wrong with any of the subtasks' configurations. If I move any of them to the top of the sequence, it becomes the one which runs correctly, and the 3 below it fail.

Each subtask has its own input folder (separate subfolders of the same folder). "Use Output of the Previous Task" is NOT checked. I even tried running with it checked it in case a bug was inverting its value when the task ran; this made no difference at all (I was expecting a different kind of failure with it checked; maybe that's evidence of a problem?).

I wish this would work, because this is really just a test; I wanted to use a Sequential Task to break up a very large Check In to Vault job I need to run soon (on 250,000 files) so that no single Check In task will have to wrangle more than say 10,000-20,000 files..

Since it didn't work, I'll probably have to just run separate reasonably-sized Check In tasks manually, watching over them to keep the process going.

Perhaps I should just go for it and cut it loose on all 250,000 files, but I'm not going to chance that. I haven't been able to find any info on safe file count limits for the Task Scheduler; but 250,000 files seems like a lot.  The Autoloader best practices document advises a limit of 20,000-30,000 files per run; but these files have too links between docs in different top-level folders to let me use the Autoloader in multiple passes (which is why I'm turning to the Task Scheduler).

Please reply if you can confirm this bug and/or know how to fix it or work around it -- or if there's something I'm just doing wrong.

Please also reply if you can advise on safe limits on file counts in Task Scheduler tasks.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
4donwan4
in reply to: autodesk.admins

The only thing that I can suggest would be to try a single task with 1000 to 1500 files. With each user’s unique environment it would be hard to say if what you’re encountering is an issue with the Task Scheduler or not. System resources will also play a part in the performance here. The above is just a suggestion and if you see it still failing with that number of files then try reducing it and repeat the task.

Regards,

Don

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report