Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

semi-isolated and identical P/N's... No warning pop-up??

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
droopy
130 Views, 3 Replies

semi-isolated and identical P/N's... No warning pop-up??

If I create a part and try to save it to my workspace with the same name as an existing part in the workgroup, there is no warning that the part number already exists. What happens is the new part is not saved in the workspace. Its like you never hit save. If you exit the model without knowing this, you loose everything.

Shouldn't Inventor warn you that the part number already exists in the workgroup, so you can save the file with a new name???

You can loose alot of work, because of this. The only warning that it didn't save, is that the file name in the active window still says "Part1". How often do you pay attention to that when you have one file open.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: droopy

It will warn you if you try to same to the same directory as the existing file, but not if you save to a different directory. This is more an OS issue as an IV issue. I have never had IV NOT save a file to my workspace, even when named the same as a file in a workgroup, in fact it has caused me problems on a couple of occasions. droopy wrote: > If I create a part and try to save it to my workspace with the same name as an existing part in the workgroup, there is no warning that the part number already exists. What happens is the new part is not saved in the workspace. Its like you never hit save. If you exit the model without knowing this, you loose everything. > > Shouldn't Inventor warn you that the part number already exists in the workgroup, so you can save the file with a new name??? > > You can loose alot of work, because of this. The only warning that it didn't save, is that the file name in the active window still says "Part1". How often do you pay attention to that when you have one file open. -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.6085 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 3 of 4
droopy

I am unable to save the file, if the P/N exist in the workgroup.

I started a new part and tried to save it as a part number that exist in the workgroup.... No file is created. If I give it a new name that doesn't exist, the file is created. Is this because I have the Project setting "Using Unique Files Names" set to Yes?
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Probably so, I do seem to remember something about that in the R9 What's New. droopy wrote: > I am unable to save the file, if the P/N exist in the workgroup. > > I started a new part and tried to save it as a part number that exist in the workgroup.... No file is created. If I give it a new name that doesn't exist, the file is created. Is this because I have the Project setting "Using Unique Files Names" set to Yes? -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.6085 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report