Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Unfold for Flat Pattern

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
drguitarum2005
358 Views, 4 Replies

Selective Unfold for Flat Pattern

Is there a way I can tell Inventor which folds to fold or unfold when creating a flat pattern? I want to bend some C-Channel INWARD and Inventor doesn't seem to be able to do that. When it's formed C-Channel, I can bend the legs and all that but I don't want those legs to unfold when I create a flat pattern. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: drguitarum2005

How close is your tolerances?

I would probably not use Flat Pattern, but instead

Have an un-bent C-Channel part.
Derive Component and Bend Part.

There is a selective Unfold/Refold, but that doesn't work quite the same as Flat Pattern and therefore I think two parts using the Derived Component may be your best solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
blair

can you post the part IPT file

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 5
jletcher

If you are talking what is up and what is down in a flat pattern just select the face you want up before you unfold..

But as what it unfolds no, when you unfold it does all the bends.

There is a thread with pics some where could not find it fast enough to post...

Message 5 of 5
ic198

Assuming I've understood what you are asking for, there is a possible cheat for this one- incorrectly model the bends that you don't want to unfold. I've attached an example of what I mean- (IV2014 file, sorry about that...)

Because the two outer bends have the same fillet radius inside and out, they are not constant material thickness so they won't unfold. The middle fold has constant thickness and will unfold.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report