Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting Area for Extrusion - Selects more than desired area.

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Bernie38
2177 Views, 11 Replies

Selecting Area for Extrusion - Selects more than desired area.

Inventor had been working without problems.

I create a sketch with seperate but attached rectangles for solid body modeling.  All constraints and Dimensions are satisfied.  When I try to select the individual areas some select correctly while others combine areas.  Sketch doctor indicates problems but none are visable in the sketch mode.

If I create the same sketch without dimensions each area selects as it should with no overlapping.

Any ideas?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 3 of 12
Bernie38
in reply to: cbenner

Message 4 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: Bernie38

@zxzx5100112855 wrote:
 All constraints and Dimensions are satisfied. 

Not on the file you attached?

I recommend that you make use of obvious symmetry about the origin and pattern features rather than sketch entities.

I also noticed that some places you used lines and other places you used rectangles.

In any case, I would wager that the sketch you attached is not what you really really intend. (no symmetry where it appears there should be to me)

And, I would use equal (=) constraints rather than all of those repeated dimensions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
karthur1

Inventor has trouble with sketches like that.  It tries to figure out the closed profile and it does not always guess correctly.

With geometry like that, its better to use rectangles rather than lines.  See my attached file.

Kirk

Message 6 of 12
chad38

I didn't go through and enter all the dimensions to equal each other how you did, especially not the 38mm one. But I drew this up with only lines and none overlapping. And each area can be selected individually without any trouble.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 7 of 12

Hi zxzx5100112855,

IN addtion to the previous hints, note that you can sometimes use sketch points to "break" the sketch into smaller selectable profiles as shown at this link:

http://inthemachine-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2009/03/no-need-to-trim.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 12
Bernie38
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for you linput.  Let me reconstruct the part and if I still have problems I will send it to you.TThe original was done using all rectangles but with the error message form sketch doctor I tried to fix what it said was wrong.  The dimensions, least the 38mm were all the same parameter.  Will try equal based off one para,eter (thickness) 

Message 9 of 12
Bernie38
in reply to: chad38

Thanks, I used rectangles
Message 10 of 12
Bernie38
in reply to: JDMather

I started to redo the drawing and check for the ability to extrude each area.  The attached file would extrude on the four outside areas (Created by using a rectangle thend oing an inner offset of the same rectangle, extended the right alnd left side up and down.  Dimensioned sing a created parimeter fjor future mod.  When I added the inner rectangle, dimensined it and when I tred to see if individual sections could be selected for extrusion the center rectangle would select either the section above it as weill as the center or the bottom and the center.  The extrude box does not disply the red cross indicating an error.

If I open the sketch doctor it shows Redundalnt points, Missing coincident constraints, overlapping curves, open loops and self-intercecting loops.

The drawing however shows fully constraind on the info bar.

I tried doing a project form a "Woodworking for Inventor" video by Steve Widom and every thing came out as it should (Extrusions) but not with what I am doing now.  Any help would be great, thaks in advance. PS tried the "point" approach that was suggested,  Applied points to the four corners but it stillacted the same. (The attached file should no have thises points as there wer deleted using the undo button.)

Message 11 of 12
karthur1

Like I said.... Inventor has trouble with this type of sketch.  Probably the most fool-proof way to build this to delete the short line segments on each end of the center rectangle.  Use the split command to split the lines where the two middle intersect the line going across the ends.

It will extrude fine then.  The overlapping lines is what confuses Inventor.

Click here for a short video showing how I fixed it.  When you use the split command, you will see a "X" where the break is going to be made.  For some reason that does not show in my video.

Kirk

Message 12 of 12
Bernie38
in reply to: karthur1

Tried your approach and it worked.  Also for my own understanding I ran sketch doctor and saw what was happening when I did each item.  Gave me a better understanding of sketch doctor as well.   Is this behavior something that autodesk is aware of and is working on a fix?  Thanks again for your time and effort in helping me.   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report