Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selected Geometry could not be scaled.

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
mikesnidersnider
5243 Views, 23 Replies

Selected Geometry could not be scaled.

Hi All,

I am using Inventor 2014 and have a geometry defined.  I would like to scale it by Fifty Percent; make it half the size.  When I am in the Sketch mode and select "Scale" then choose my geometry and define a base point and enter .5 the software returns the following:

!The selected geometry could not be scaled.  Check Constraint Settings for Sketch Edit Tools.

What are Sketch Edit Tools?  When I search for Sketch Edit Tools in Autodesk Community I get no results and no results in the help search function.  Also how should the constraints be set?

Your help is most appreciated.

Mike Snider

Tags (1)
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
admaiora
in reply to: mikesnidersnider

Hi, can you attach the file here?

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 24
JDMather

If you cannot attach the *.ipt file here, can you at least post a screen shot of this dialog box?

Scale.png

Is your sketch constrained to the projected origin (or some other projected-fixed point), yet you are selecting some other Base Point for the scale?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 24
mikesnidersnider
in reply to: JDMather

Hi Every One,

Attached is a Snip of the screen.  The constraints menu is "pinned" and I have tried the scale function in all configurations of the constraints menu.  Further, I have tried all configurations of the "<<" menu.   The upper sketch shows all contraints and the lower copy has no constraints and still the scale function will not work and deliveres the warning...

I thank you in advance and wish a blessed day for you.

Mike

Message 5 of 24

It is possible that some constraints preventing the sketch from being scaled. But, it is hard to tell where the problem is just by looking at a snapshot. Like JD said, it is better to attach the file here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 24

Hi All,

Please find attached a file for your examination.

I thank you in advance for your time and effort on this matter.

May your day be blessed.

Mike

Message 7 of 24

Hi! I took a look at the part. It seems that the scaling problem has something to do with the spline handles. If you turn them off, the scaling will work fine. What it not clear to me is that if I create a similar spline with two handles displayed, the scaling works fine too. The behavior you are seeing is not right. It seems like a bug.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 24

Hi Johnson,

Removing the "handles" did it!

Thank you.

Mike

Message 9 of 24
J3rre

how do i remove the spline handles i have the same problem

Message 10 of 24
mikesnidersnider
in reply to: J3rre

Hey J3rre,

I "clicked" on them, the right button(?) and the handle color changed.  Then hit the delete key and they are gone.

Mike

Message 11 of 24

Hello, 

I am having this similar issue now on Inventor 2020.3. I had just re-defined a plane, and the corresponding sketch defined on that plane did move with it, but the orientation was then oriented incorrectly - I am just trying to rotate a couple circles and a square with dimensions, etc attached. I have had this happen in the past on some other parts, but alas, I am handcuffed by Autodesk again...

I had already gone through the ">>" menu and tried the many different settings, and all gave me the same error. I tried to delete some of the horizontal/vertical constraints, and still no luck. I then also looked into Tools->App Options-> Sketch-> 2D Sketch Constraint Settings-> Relax Mode and then enabled all the options to relax, and still no luck. I had initially tried just permitting relaxing of a few of the suspect ones being horizontal, vertical, lock - but alas no luck...

Any suggestions would be helpful - I know this is a simple part, but I am hoping there is a solution - as had my sketch been more complicated... I would have had to do it over again... from what I can tell at this point. 

Message 12 of 24
johnsonshiue
in reply to: AlexZW28B

Hi! Please share the file here or start a thread. I am not sure I understand your issue.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 24
AlexZW28B
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello @johnsonshiue , 

I have attached a sample part with the issues in Sketch5. It does not permit me to rotate the sketch entities when I do a drag select, or select all parts. I had tried a few times to rotate the sketch about the centre of the square and have been unable to do so - which BTW this is an instance where a edge Centrepoint construction lines would be nicer for my design as opposed to the always corner construction lines created with squares/rectangles. I had gotten here by just re-defining an offset plane I had created in the part file - which also was hard to find how to do this. The plane of Sketch5 was originally offset from the YZ plane, but I had to re-orient my part for better UCS/origin relation in Upper ASSY.

Message 14 of 24
johnsonshiue
in reply to: AlexZW28B

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for sharing the part! I don't understand why Rotate is not allowed here. It may have something to do with the existing constraints (equal, parallel, and perpendicular). I will need to look into further.

In the meantime, you can create a sketch block from the geometry (right-click on the sketch ribbon -> check Layout tab -> Create Sketch Block). After the geometry is converted to a block, you can easily manipulate it as a whole. You can also insert multiple instances without having to recreate the geometry. The block can still be edited.

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 24
jsadinJTMBV

I had the issue where I couldn't rotate a sketch due to supposed constraint issues and I was able to get around it by selecting "always" in the two constraint menus. 

restraints.JPG

Message 16 of 24
myarkus11

Hello everyone, i have the same problem as well. I am trying to scale down my airfoil structure for my Aircraft Design subject, but it cannot be scaled down can you help me? Using Inventor 2022

Message 17 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: myarkus11

@myarkus11 

It probably would have been best to start a new thread with a link back to this 10 year old thread for reference.

In any case, can you Attach your file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 18 of 24

Hello, thank you for the fast reply! Here's the file. Thank you 

Message 19 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: myarkus11

@myarkus11 

I saw a lot of issues with the original geometry.

These are just two of the issues.

JDMather_0-1708095663193.png

Message 20 of 24
myarkus11
in reply to: JDMather

Can you please help me solve the problems sir? I don't know what to do with it. Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report