Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sections in Assemblies

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
swhite
780 Views, 9 Replies

Sections in Assemblies

Is there a way to save a section view in the assembly as a view rep? Am using 2011.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blair
in reply to: swhite

Not directly, not sure if it will work in IV2011, create your view rep, then create a assembly feature cut to produce your section view. Since this is a assembly feature, it won't affect your parts outside of the assembly. You would need to suppress the feature in other views.

Give it a try

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 10
Cadmanto

If you give some more detail of what exactly you are trying to accomplish maybe we can offer some alternate suggestions.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 10
swhite
in reply to: Cadmanto

I need two pos rep section views so I can overlay them on the drawing. Have created my section views, copied to autocad, put the two together and made a part sketch from it to show on drawing. I would prefer to use overlay, but was unable to get my section cuts to stay in the assembly on my views. Am working with a huge assembly (Oil Rig - so experimentation is not an option as it takes an hour to update sometimes...) and since Inventor won't section a normal and overlay view together, thought maybe....

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 10
gcross
in reply to: blair

Blair,

In answering the Sections in Assemblies question I noticed you suggested that it's possible to "suppress the feature in other views".

I checked a drawing & could not find out a way to directly do this. Its this really possible, if so how.? Or did you mean something different.

Thanks.

Gary

BTW- My EVGA X79 MB i7/GTX 590 system is still doing very well & I still appreciate your advice back when I bought it...even if my phone call to you in Canada was about $60 !  🙂

Message 6 of 10
blair
in reply to: gcross

You would need to create additional View-Reps in the IAM and then suppress the feature in those views. You can then use those other views.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 10
swhite

My propblem is I don't need anything suppressed, I just need pos rep section views. Need everything to show, just sectioned instead of a normal view, and so far besides creating two sections and putting them together in autocad have found no other way, I could create two derived parts, section those, but with the size of my assembly that's 3 hours of waiting. AutoDesk nees a way to section normal and overlay views together.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 8 of 10
Cadmanto

The only other suggestion I was going to offer wasn't any easier then what you are already doing.

What I have done is posted an idea based on your thread.  So if you want this to be in future versions of

Inventor go to this link and cast your vote.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Saving-Model-Views/idi-p/3804841

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 10
blair
in reply to: Cadmanto

Because we have created an Assembly Feature to cut through all the components in the desired View-Rep. You will then need to create new View Reps with this Cut-Feature suppressed to get the full view without any cuts. That way when you do your IDW drawings, you can select the view that has the feature active for your section view and you can then select the other view-reps that has the feature suppressed for your complete view. This way when you do your positional view with overlays they will remain aligned.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 10
swhite
in reply to: blair

Will use that idea next goaround, but too many views in drawing already to have to change em all up. Should work for what I need in the future tho, thanks.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report