Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section views not creating correctly

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
460 Views, 7 Replies

Section views not creating correctly

I have an IDW of a reasonably sized assembly (1200 parts) referencing several levels of detail - ie several base views looking at various LOD's.

One of these base views is a plan view of a machine room (the model was generated using 3d scanning technology). I have taken several section views from this plan view which have worked fine. However, in some cases my section views are not working.

Workflow as follows:

select section view command
select base view to section
place section line
drag cursor in direction of desired section and then right click, continue
section view dialogue appears and a solid model preview of the section also appears (all correct)
section depth defined (preview updates accordingly and correctly)
hit 'ok'

Inventor then goes away and has a think for about a minute to generate the view. However no view appears at all! The browser now features the section view and its referenced assembly - however many parts that should appear simply do not. parts that appear in the base view, unsupressed and visible are simply not featured under the section views assembly tree. The few that do appear in the browser are ones that are invisible in the base view - the visibility of these however cannot be turned on (its greyed out). The end result of this of course is that there is no view displayed whatsoever in the graphics window.

Having spoken to our support/reseller they could not explain it and could only suggest deleting the base view and starting again - this is a big drawing and has taken some time so I am exceedingly reluctant to follow this advice!!

I have had this occur when trying to do about 3 section views from this base view, sometimes nothing appears, sometimes a random selection of parts (but not all) appears. I have so far managed to get around this by projected views and manipulating visibility etc but there is one particular view that I cannot achieve without using a section.

Any help/advide would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dan
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
R.Corriveau
in reply to: Anonymous

There could be an offending 3D scanned part that is causing you problems. Are all the parts scanned or can you turn off the visibilty of the scanned parts, create the section view then turn the parts back on one by one?
Message 3 of 8
JDMather

Did you run a quality check on the scanned part? Can you zip and post the scanned part?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Not all parts are scanned - basically we're an escalator manufacturer for london underground. we have had the station scanned, allowing us to then insert an 'envelope' model of our complete escalator - from which i am developing a station GA drawing. The section view in question 'should' include the escalator model or 'part' (it is a derived component) however it does not. Therefore it appears to be both scanned and native parts that are not displaying.

How do I do a quality check on the scanned parts? I've not done anything like that? Basically the scanned models were generated by a contracting company in MDT - we then took the MDT model, converted to .stp and then into .ipt's.

As you can probably guess models of this type are not 'typical', no constraints exist in the assembly aside from any components we insert (such as the escalator) but instead all scanned parts are grounded. They are not perfect graphically either, surfaces tend to become uneven in appearance when rotating etc. However compared to a traditional survey they are absolutely invaluable!
Message 5 of 8
R.Corriveau

"Therefore it appears to be both scanned and native parts that are not displaying."

The scanned parts could be effecting the native parts displaying in the idw.

"How do I do a quality check on the scanned parts? "

Copy the Base to the construction environment, unstitch and do a quality check.

Message was edited by: Rick Corriveau Message was edited by: Rick Corriveau
Message 6 of 8
JDMather

>Not all parts are scanned ... Therefore it appears to be both scanned and native parts that are not displaying.....stp.
They are not perfect graphically either, surfaces tend to become uneven in appearance when rotating etc.

Typical problem with poor quality step file. Just takes one in the assembly to cause the behavior you are seeing.

>they are absolutely invaluable!
Can you post the step file? Or better yet the original MDT file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Have you tried opening the MDT file in IV directly?

wrote in message news:5338072@discussion.autodesk.com...
>Not all parts are scanned ... Therefore it appears to be both scanned and
native parts that are not displaying.....stp.
They are not perfect graphically either, surfaces tend to become uneven in
appearance when rotating etc.

Typical problem with poor quality step file. Just takes one in the assembly
to cause the behavior you are seeing.

>they are absolutely invaluable!
Can you post the step file? Or better yet the original MDT file?
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Unfortunately I have been advised I should not post the whole assembly as there are intelectual property issues. Will the 'dirty' step files still cause problems even when converted to ipt? As the entire assy and all its components are native inventor now.

Anyway. its the weekend! I'll be back on monday! - thanks for all the replies so far though, much appreciated - I will continue to investigate. any more help always appreciated.

cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report