Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search Sequence

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rgraham817
500 Views, 5 Replies

Search Sequence

Hi Everyone

I am having an issue with my assembly grabbing an out of date part. I do not know how or why this is happening but

I was wondering what the sequence for the search path Inventor goes thru. I assume it first searches the folder you are in

but does it go down, up after that? If there is a part below which way does it go? Is there a possibility it could be grabbing the wrong part if it is not in the same folder?

Thanks

Randy

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: rgraham817

Randy,

The path is controlled by the master project file.  That has the base working directory in it.

It looks to me that you have this file in multiple areas with in the base folder structure.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6

Hi rgraham817,

It's difficult to know why you're seeing this happen without more information ( I suspect the files have the same name but different locations?), but here is some general information.

Note that one trick I've used when I had a file that kept resolving incorrectly for some reason was to just use the Replace tool to force the internal link to update correctly. Mostly I avoid these issues by ensuring all files have unique names, but there are times when it happens otherwise as well.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0460-Assembli460/0461-Build_as46...

Autodesk Inventor Inventor File Resolution Protocol.png

Message 4 of 6
rgraham817
in reply to: Cadmanto

Cadmanto, you are exactly right. There is a folder above all the other parts in this particular assembly that houses the part that the wrong version magically appeared. In this folder one step up from my assembly, there are nine older versions of this same part. Is that a really bad idea? Should I purge them or is it okay to have them there and it was possibly an operator error?

Thanks again

Randy

Message 5 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: rgraham817

Ideally, having Vault would sove this issue, but if you don't have it, then the structure you have is giving you these

types of results.  If you are not happy with these results then I would suggest having one file of each in a single location.  Now with that said it is ok to have multiple folders above the base folder structure, but no duplicates in multiple directories.  Then have this backed up on a network location so that can be backed up, but again this is only if you don't have vault.  If you don't have it you might want to look into it.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 6
rgraham817
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks Curtis and Cadmanto

As always I really appreciate your help. Thanks for the search diagram and the advice on file structure. We have the Vault but management thinks its too much down time to set it up. Thanks again for all your help.

Very Respectfully

Randy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report