Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanning 2D profiles

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
markm
564 Views, 6 Replies

Scanning 2D profiles

Hi group,

we manufacture labeling machinery. Our customer supplies the label so we can design the vacuum pads for it in IV. Here's my question: Is there a free or relatively cheap program that enables me to scan the label and import the 2D profile into Acad or IV easily? Because it is such a pain trying to get the right shape, especially with odd looking ones. Thanks. Mark
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: markm

Couldn't you just scan it with a normal scanner, save it as a BMP file then apply it as a
decal to the part in Inventor?

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator
Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"mmason" wrote in message news:f152f11.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Hi group,
> we manufacture labeling machinery. Our customer supplies the label so we can design the
vacuum pads for it in IV. Here's my question: Is there a free or relatively cheap program
that enables me to scan the label and import the 2D profile into Acad or IV easily?
Because it is such a pain trying to get the right shape, especially with odd looking ones.
Thanks. Mark
>
Message 3 of 7
markm

I tried that. but it wont work for me because the edges looked fuzzy. I am looking for a definite 2d profile. I worked for a CNC company were they had a Gerber machine. They used a program that picked the profile of the scanned picture. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the program.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Their is raster to vector programs that might get you started but unless it is extremely
simple I am sure it will take some manual cleanup. Here is a free one
http://www.wburrows.demon.co.uk/softsoft/wintopo/index-pro.htm

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator
Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"mmason" wrote in message news:f152f11.1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I tried that. but it wont work for me because the edges looked fuzzy. I am looking for a
definite 2d profile. I worked for a CNC company were they had a Gerber machine. They used
a program that picked the profile of the scanned picture. Unfortunately, I can't remember
the name of the program.
Message 5 of 7
markm

Thanks Kent. I will give it a shot.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Here's another one.

TraceART at www.freefirestudio.com/download/traceart.exe

This is a trial download that puts a logo in the background of the finished
dxf. This is extremely easy to remove though for evaluation purposes only
of course!

--
Cheers,

--Rob Singlehurst
Message 7 of 7
markm

Rob,

This is exactly what I'm looking for. It was pretty easy to switch from pixels to inches. As for Kent’s program, it is also a good one but I could not switch from pixels to inches which did not give a 1:1 profile in autocad. Its probably just me, I don't know the programs well. This will prove to be a big time saver. Thanks again guys. Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report