Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
173 Views, 8 Replies

Scaling

I'm an absolute beginner with Inventor 5.3 and whenever i bring autocad dwg's into inventor the scale is off, they seem to be 1000 times too big.

Is there something i am doing wrong or a way around this as when i try to rescale the whole scale goes crazy.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you checked the option within the 'Insert AutoCAD file' dialog box which appears when you import/open an AutoCAD drawing? Or, forward your dwg and I'll have a go at it. Wolfe "r foxley" wrote in message news:6330515.1088695189667.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I'm an absolute beginner with Inventor 5.3 and whenever i bring autocad dwg's into inventor the scale is off, they seem to be 1000 times too big. > > Is there something i am doing wrong or a way around this as when i try to rescale the whole scale goes crazy. > > Thanks.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

I do check the options when opening the AutoCAD file but i get an error message every time i try to change things.

It always defaults to inches, even though when i installed it i set the default to mm and then when i try to 'ok' the change i get the attached message.

I'm wondering whether something is corrupted within the programme?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Send me the AutoCAD file. Wolfe "r foxley" wrote in message news:18680469.1088775253617.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I do check the options when opening the AutoCAD file but i get an error message every time i try to change things. > > It always defaults to inches, even though when i installed it i set the default to mm and then when i try to 'ok' the change i get the attached message. > > > I'm wondering whether something is corrupted within the programme?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

With due respect, i'm reluctant to just send confidential drawing information to someone i dont know on the web.

Have you ever experienced this problem yourself?
I'm using AutoCAD 2002 LT if that makes any dfference to things.
The drawing always seems to come in a factor of 10, 100, 1000etc too big. I have tried going back and scaling down the drawing by the relative factor then re-opening in Inventor but then the scale becomes really messed up.

I'm pretty much out of any other ideas.

Thanks again.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I don't remember ever having this problem. Check with your boss/supervisor for permission to send the dwg. Sometime it is difficult to analyze a problem without the supporting data. Wolfe "r foxley" wrote in message news:21674715.1088781506275.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > With due respect, i'm reluctant to just send confidential drawing information to someone i dont know on the web. > > Have you ever experienced this problem yourself? > I'm using AutoCAD 2002 LT if that makes any dfference to things. > The drawing always seems to come in a factor of 10, 100, 1000etc too big. I have tried going back and scaling down the drawing by the relative factor then re-opening in Inventor but then the scale becomes really messed up. > > I'm pretty much out of any other ideas. > > Thanks again.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

> With due respect, i'm reluctant to just send confidential drawing information to someone i dont know on the web

>I'm pretty much out of any other ideas.

You can't make up a problem that exhibits the same charateristics?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I've attached a random dwg file that i've created and i'm having exactly the same problems with.
Let me know how you get on with it.

Thanks.
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

> I'm an absolute beginner with Inventor 5.3 and whenever i bring autocad dwg's into inventor the scale is off

How much training have you had with AutoCAD?

Just looking at this AutoCAD file and not knowing anything about it or the creator I would assume the creator is an absolute beginner with AutoCAD.
If I do a zoom all in AutoCAD there are three copies of a group of objects staggered slightly. In the lower left there is also a fourth scaled (by 1/100) and "mirrored" set of the objects. When zoom all is issued the file acts as though there is a "floater" but I didn't find it, however if I copy the objects I can see into a clean file it does zoom to the objects.

Bottom line knowing (nothing else about the design intent, except what I see in the file) I would describe the AutoCAD file as garbage.

I would clean up the AutoCAD file first isolating each what I'll call "boundary object" onto a separate layer at its correct scale. These objects will form your sketches when that layer is imported into a sketch in Inventor.

I think it might be a good idea to learn Inventor (and AutoCAD if needed) before trying to learn how to bring geometry from AutoCAD into Inventor.

Rather than starting with complex geometry why not start with a simple rectangle in AutoCAD and see if you can import that into Inventor. Create the rectangle in AutoCAD, dimension it and then import the file into Inventor. Post the AutoCAD file and the Inventor file and at least we can verify any problems at the most basic level.

J.D.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report