Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling parts when placing in assembly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
LHtunes
11057 Views, 5 Replies

Scaling parts when placing in assembly

In an assembly I'm working on, I need to place the same part multiple times, but I need this part to be a different scale each time. What would be the correct way (and hopefully easiest way) to do this? I'm working with Inventor 2010. Relatively new to the program...

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BakMag
in reply to: LHtunes

A few possibilities,

1. you could create an iPart. every time you place an iPart in an assembly you get a popup with a table from which you have to select the part size. You have to create this table yourself, so you can only choose sizes that you put in beforehand.

2. place the part using "place iLogic component". this wil give you a pop up of all the parameters you marked as "key". each time you place the part using this method you can choose new dimensions/size.

3. create a new part and use "derive". this allows you to make a copy of your original part and it offers you a scale option.however when you have to place your part many times this could be a lot of work.

maybe one of these will work for you.

Message 3 of 6
LHtunes
in reply to: BakMag

Great, I will try these options out. Thank you!

Message 4 of 6
med0709
in reply to: LHtunes

Another option is create a derived part. When you create a new derived part you just need change the Scale Factor of the original part and insert this part in your assembly. If you j don't break the link with the original part and they always will scale the derived part.

This is a simple way to do what you need.

Message 5 of 6
clarissaWEFCQ
in reply to: med0709

I followed this procedure but may problem is when Im creating .idw based on the derived or scaled assembly.

It will give me dimension from derived or scaled assembly.

It should be times the scale factor.

Any help?

Message 6 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: clarissaWEFCQ

Tell us more about what you're trying to accomplish, and perhaps someone here can suggest a different method.  Inventor drawings give real dimesions from the model geometry, and your model geometry has been scaled up or down.  No surprise that it gives the the dimension as scaled.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2016 R3 SP2
Vault Basic 2016 SP1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Autodesk_Inventor_Certified_Professional_Badge.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report