Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling in one dimension using the Add-In "DerivedPart_SP"

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
mikesnidersnider
551 Views, 10 Replies

Scaling in one dimension using the Add-In "DerivedPart_SP"

Good Morning All,

I have created an .ipt drawing of a hollow rectangular box the size of a wind tunnel.  Inside the wind tunnel is an air foil consisting of a sketch and an extrusion.  The sketch has a spline created from points in a spread sheet that define the shape of the air foil.  I wish to double the length of the foil's x components while keeping the same y component values.   Obviously I could alter the spread sheet by doubling the values in it however another CAD program I have used allowed easy rescaling of the principal coordinates by editing "parameters."  In my research of Inventor help and this board I have learned that the add-in DerivedPart-SP was created for this function.  After some help for JDMathers I was able to install the Add-in.

I have opened the original .ipt drawing of the tunnel/foil and saved it under a different name.  Then I closed the original .ipt file and invoked the DerivedPart_SP add_in, selected the original file, turned on the "Non-Unifor" button and increased X: from 1.000 to 2.000 and under position part of the add_in screen chose the By source part sketch button and selected the sketch of the foil. 

A message box appears stating "Invalid input: possibly non-uniform scale applied to sketch enitities."  This is exactly what I would like to accomplish.  Is there a work around or am I appling the add-in incorrectly.  Perhaps I need instruction in how to derive a part?DerivedPartSP.JPG

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blair
in reply to: mikesnidersnider

I think the problem is with the base part being controlled by the spread sheet. Derive the Parent to a new part, break the link with the Parent and then use this file to derive your new scaled in one direction part.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 11
blair
in reply to: blair

I might even export the parent base part out to a neutral format and then import this back into Inventor and then use this as the parent to derived the non-uniform scaled part.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 11
mikesnidersnider

Hi All,

I exported the portion of the airfoil I wished to scale in one dimension to a dwg file and imported the dwg file to an ipt file.  Here is a snip of the original sketch:

OriginalSketch.JPG

Below is the imported:

I assume that these points are no longer linked since they are "Circled" rather than in a "Cross."  Running the Add-in resulted in this:

DireivedPartSPError.JPG

The "Details were copied to the docx file in the attachements below.  I am running a Windows 7 64 bit system.  Perhaps this is the new error.

Is there a newer version of the Add-in or some other work around.

I thank you in advance for your time and effort on this and may you have a blessed day!

Mike Snider

Message 5 of 11
blair

I'm not following your methodology here, you shouldn't need to re-open any DWG or DOC file. Simply start a new IPT file, use the Derive-Scale command and set the direction you wish to increase your scale.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 11
mikesnidersnider

Hi Blair,

Per your directions, I openned a new .ipt file and used Derived Part SP and a blank screen appears.  When I edit the dirived part it is visable and has the sketch of the now twice longer foil.  I have tried exporting the derived part to a .dwg file and opening it with Inventor Fusion 2013 and it reports no information.  I have tried opening the exported dwg file with Inventor 2014 and get a blank screen.   How do I copy the desired point/spline array back to my original drawing so that it may be export to Inventor Fusion to define a fluid volume and launch Simulation CFD?

Thank you for your assistance and I apologize for my lack of familiarity with Inventor.

Mike Snider

Message 7 of 11
blair

You can't. The Base Part will control the Derived Part. Any changes to the Base Part will be reflected in the Derived Part. You can use the Derived Part for your CFD no different than when you did your Base Part.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 11
mikesnidersnider

Hi Blair,

The Derived Part file is blank.  The only time a now doublely long wind tunnel and air foil are visible is when I am editing the dirived part.  If I export the file a blank file is created.  Is there some switch I must flip for the derived part to be visible?  If not can I export the sketch to a dwg file and import it back to my original file?

Thanks

Mike

Message 9 of 11
blair

Something is wrong, can you post the base foil part and your derived scale part

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 11
mikesnidersnider

Good Morning Blair,

I made an .ipt file of the geometry I wished to scale in one direction consisting of a sketch with extrusions of one length unit.  A new file was openned and "DerivedPart_SP" was used to create a part twice as long in one dimension.  Next a plane was added on one side of the now longer extrusion and this geometry was projected onto the plane.  Then the sketch of the longer portion of the foil was copied back to the original file and used to make a foil with the proper shape.  Success!

Is there a shorter way to this end?

Thanks for all of your help and may your day be blessed.

Mike

Message 11 of 11
blair

There could be, without looking at what you are doing, one is only guessing. Reading between the lines is not my strong suit.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report