Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling down sheet metal

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
LarsHansen183
882 Views, 10 Replies

Scaling down sheet metal

Hey everyone

I'm a student in Denmark working on making a cyclone separator for a fictional client. I have an assembly made from both sheet metal parts, and I would like to scale it down by 50% so I can make a model.

And thats the problem, the regular parts aint an issue with the derive function, but I cant seem to make this work with sheet metal parts, since It wont allow me to unfold if after deriving it.

Anyone know a solution for this? We are using Inventor 2014 Professional, from some sort of school license, I've attached one of the files I'm trying to scale down.

I'm looking forward to your response 🙂

Greetings

Lars Hansen

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
-niels-
in reply to: LarsHansen183

Welcome to the forum.

In order to make a flat pattern from a derived sheet metal you have to set the thickness in the "sheet metal defaults" to the correct value.
Since you're scaling it down, make sure you take that into account for the new thickness.

Hope that helps.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 11
LarsHansen183
in reply to: -niels-

Hey, thanks for the quick response!
I tried that, but still when I press the flat pattern it wont unfold it for some reason.
It swap to the interface where you can work with the flat pattern, but the shape keeps the same, though I can see when I derive it scales it down.
Message 4 of 11
-niels-

I tried with the part you posted, no problems.

I scaled it with a factor of 0.5, then in the sheet metal defaults i divided the original thickness by 2.

Intake_scaled.png

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 11
LarsHansen183
in reply to: -niels-

Oi! How about if I would like to keep the thickness, is that possible without changing the thickness on the basefile? 🙂
Message 6 of 11
-niels-

Hmm... i would suggest using thicken, but that didn't work for me.
I suspect that the way you modeled the cut and the fillet you added are causing problems.
(the way the edges look in the flat pattern are not good for sheet metal, they should be perpendicular like they would be when made on a laser cutter / cnc punch.)

Does it need to have a relation to your original?
Otherwise i think it might be easier to just make a copy and edit the dimensions.

The derive scaling will scale all geometry, you cannot exclude the thickness.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 11
JDMather

The part is not modeled correctly for a sheet metal part (Extrusion3 and Fillet1).

When you go to the Flat Pattern the cut of the flat should be perpendicular to the flat.

Sheet Cut.PNG

I am too busy right now to post solution, but check back later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 11
LarsHansen183
in reply to: JDMather

Yeah agreed it is some sort of mess with not all the edges being perpendicular to the bottom. On the other hand, I just couldnt figure out how to make that circular cut through the part any other way 😕
I'm having the same problem with the body where the intake is placed, I solved that by using the method -niels- wrote, and my guess is it would be easier just to do so on all the all those which consist of non-perpendicular edges 🙂

And JDMather, i'll await your solution before I close this thread.

Thanks alot all of you for taking your time to help out a poor fellow 🙂

EDIT: The thing is, I have honestly no idea how to make a cut like "Extrusion 3" without getting those non-perpendicular edges 🙂

Message 9 of 11
-niels-

Here is one way to fix what you have, JD can probably give you better information on how to start out properly.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 10 of 11
rdyson

The easy way is to upgrade to 2015 and use cut normal
One way that should work in 2014 (I don't have it available) is to:
share sketch2
Move the eop above Extrusion3
Use sketch2 to split the outer face
Offset surface one of the new faces as surface and 0 offset distance
Thicken - cut option - this surface a distance of Thickness
Repeat for the other side

PDSU 2016
Message 11 of 11
LarsHansen183
in reply to: rdyson

Hey again

For now I think this is a solved problem, I got a bunch of tools and tips how to work around it 🙂
Thanks alot for all your support, i'll come back if I have further questions or other problems 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report