Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling a Derived part

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1214 Views, 6 Replies

Scaling a Derived part

When I derive a part I see the scale factor and can alter it to make the new derived part bigger.  But how do I make it smaller?  I tried a (-) sign in front of the scale and got an error.  How do I make a derived part smaller scale?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
graeme.hogarth

you need to enter a number less than 1 so make a derived part smaller.

For example, to scale it to half size, enter 0.5.

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: graeme.hogarth

Ha ha ha, what a j@#kass I am.  Didn't even think of it.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 7
graeme.hogarth

Ha, no worries.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
WallaceJohnston

I am using AI 2011 with Windows 7. With previous versions of AI (2009, 2010) the derive feature seemed to work correctly. The .completed part file was SAVED AS an .STL and, when imported into CATALYST to be printed out on our STRATASYS 768 3D printer, the print to scale could be left at 1:1 or adjusted up or down by changing the FACTOR.

With 2011 however, If the drawing is created at true size -1.00" = 1:00 "- and then Saved As an .STL  the CATALYST view must be adjusted AGAIN inside the .STL to get the final part to fit inside the 8" x 8" x 12" Build Box!

By opening the derived .stl part witn MiniMagics2 so the final dimensions can be viewed prior to printing, there is often a 2 to 3 TIMES Bigger than Life image in MM2! This must then be Resized by another Factor inside CATALYST to get the Part to fit inside the Print Box.

It is managable but Frustrating with no Help inside the AutoDesk tutorial.

If someone has experienced and corrected this please contact wallace.l.johnston@gmail.com

I have screen shots of the Before..During and After results so you do not have to be running AI 2011 or MiniMagics2 to see what is happening.

The attached gear set was draqwn with a Major Diameter on the Larg Spurr Gear of under 7.00". In MiniMagics 2 the Over All Height of the two Gears is in excess of 17.00"! That has to be reduced by Catalyst to be under 7.500" Total for both gears to lay flat inside the Build Platform to print the Assembly All at Once.

Message 7 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: WallaceJohnston

@Anonymous.l.johnston wrote:

With 2011 however, If the drawing is created at true size -1.00" = 1:00 "- and then Saved As an .STL  the CATALYST view must be adjusted AGAIN inside the .STL to get the final part to fit inside the 8" x 8" x 12" Build Box!

This is a differrent problem than the original thread - you should have started a new thread.

There is a bug in 2011 that Save As>Save Copy as type STL defaults to centimeters rather than you document units.

Simply click on Options when saving and set the units to the same as your document.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report