Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scale when exporting to DWG

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
davecattapan
1053 Views, 1 Reply

scale when exporting to DWG

One of our engineers discovered a problem in Inventor 8 which was not a problem in Inventor 7 (i.e. introduced as they were adding new features most likely). It involves the exporting of drawings to DWG format. Inventor 8 has an option to export all views in a drawing to 1:1 scale (Inventor 7 does this automatically to model space). It is not working properly.

The error can be easily reproduced as follows:

If you take a simple part and put it in a drawing at X0.5, X1, and X2 scale, then export to DWG in model space to all be 1:1, they all turn out different sizes (as it turns out, if you just have 1 view at some scale in a drawing, Inventor 8 DOES scale it correctly to 1:1, but with multiple views of different scales in one drawing, Inventor 8 will simply scale the whole drawing to one particular size). Inventor 7 was able to 1:1 exporting correctly, however, so that you’d have 3 views all the same size in your finished DWG.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: davecattapan

I think that this is as designed. What it is trying to do is to reproduce the way of working with AutoCAD that a lot of engineers use, in that:- You draw everything at 1:1 except detail views (where the geometry is scaled and dimension text is overridden or a scaling factor is applied), and you scale the titleblock up or down to suit. You also adjust text sizes and dimscale to match the scale of the drawing (i.e dimscale=10 for a drawing at 1:10 and a text height of 30 for 3mm text) I am referring to working only in modelspace by the way, as a lot of engineers won't touch paperspace as they get scared and cofused by it. The problem you'll get is that Inventor bases the scale on the first view down (I think), so if the first view is at 1:10 for example and other views aren't, they''ll be scaled up or down to suit. For most users who create most views at the same scale with the odd detail, this is correct and does reproduce the way they used to work in good old Acad. Obvioulsy it doesn't suit yourselves as you need all views at 1:1. One thing you could try, if you tick "Model geometry only", does it work like R7? I haven't tried it so can't be sure. Regards Rory "davecattapan" wrote in message news:19787195.1073405997384.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... One of our engineers discovered a problem in Inventor 8 which was not a problem in Inventor 7 (i.e. introduced as they were adding new features most likely). It involves the exporting of drawings to DWG format. Inventor 8 has an option to export all views in a drawing to 1:1 scale (Inventor 7 does this automatically to model space). It is not working properly. The error can be easily reproduced as follows: If you take a simple part and put it in a drawing at X0.5, X1, and X2 scale, then export to DWG in model space to all be 1:1, they all turn out different sizes (as it turns out, if you just have 1 view at some scale in a drawing, Inventor 8 DOES scale it correctly to 1:1, but with multiple views of different scales in one drawing, Inventor 8 will simply scale the whole drawing to one particular size). Inventor 7 was able to 1:1 exporting correctly, however, so that you'd have 3 views all the same size in your finished DWG.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report