Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale in one dimension...

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mikesnidersnider
3034 Views, 7 Replies

Scale in one dimension...

Hi All,

How does one change the scale of an object in one dimension or direction?  Using Inventor 2014 Professional, I drew an airfoil using splines created from a spread sheet with x and y points for the upper and lower surfaces of the foil.  I wish to creat a thinner foil using the same curves scaled in the y or thickness direction by constant amount.  In autocad one can make a block and change the properties of the block (it appears).  How does one do the same operation in Inventor 2014.  My research shows that an addin may be available.  Where would I find it, how are they installed and used?  Obviously, I could rescale the spead sheet points and bring in "scaled" curves but this seams like an operation a CAD package could do.

I thank you in advance for your time and assistance with this matter

Mike Snider

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: mikesnidersnider

funny that this post was directly under yours at the time you posted..

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Scale-a-Part-in-one-Axis/td-p/3576068

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
mikesnidersnider
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi All,

I was not sure my question about scaling would be found when posted in an "old" post so I started a second.  Sorry for any confussion.  I followed Mr. J.D. Mather's suggestion and went to the path he indicated.  I read the read me files and ran the installation bat files.  How does one call up the new scaling addin?  I have looked under "Environments" tab and "Tools" tab and have not gotten the interface. 

Is the bow broken or is the Indian a bad shot?  I suspect the latter!  Perhaps there is a tutorial on addins somewhere that will help the old indian...

Thanks for all of you help and my your day be blessed!

Mike Snider

Message 4 of 8

Mike when you install the add-in, make sure to close out Inventor (all instances) completely and then look to see if it is available.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 5 of 8
JDMather

Did you install with UAC temporarily disabled during the install?

Did you reboot the computer after the install?

Did you check the Add-ins Manager?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 8
mikesnidersnider
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JDMather,

I have made several attempts at installing the addin.  All have been with Inventor 2014 closed.  First I ran as administrator Install.bat located in:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\SDK\UserTools\DerivedPart_SP

I restarted my computer and checked Add in Manager and did not find "DerivedPart_SP."  I went back two levels in the folder tree to "SDK" and ran "UserTools.msi" and still have not seen "DerivedPart_SP" in the addin manager.  If it were successfully added to the manager where would the icon for this addin appear?  In the sketch tool bar under modify perhaps?  What is "UAC"?  My user skills exceed my programming skills...

Thanks again

Mike Snider

Message 7 of 8
JDMather

What version of Windows are you running?

1. Click on the Windows globe in lower left of screen.

2. Type UAC

3. Click on Change UAC

Drag the slider to lowest setting and reboot computer.

Install software.

Put UAC back where is it was.

Reboot computer.

UAC.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 8
mikesnidersnider
in reply to: JDMather

Hey JDMather!

Success!  I got the "Derived Part (Scale/Position)" Add-Ins to load by turning off UAC as you showed and booting twice!  The Bow is fixed!  The Indian still needs training.  When I go into 2d sketch and click on Add-Ins and on "Derived Part (Scale/Position)" I get a file finding page.  Is there a way to use this add-in directly on the sketch or must I save / export the sketch first?

Great work on the bow!

Mike Snider

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report