Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving drawing files to network take longer time

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
syed
1696 Views, 11 Replies

Saving drawing files to network take longer time

Hi all,

i am having a problem with saving files to network.

It seems that to save 1 .IDW files to network takes a long time. 

It did not do that on previous version.

did anyone face this issue before?

Any fix or tips on this?

Autodesk Inventor 2015 64bit Network Licensed.

many thanks.

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CCarreiras
in reply to: syed

HI!

It's a lot better (regarding time consuming when saving and overall behavior) if you work locally, because Inventor is always communicating and updating the files (all kind of files).

THe fix? Maybe a better Network, faster.

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 12
mrattray

Use Vault.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 12
LT.Rusty
in reply to: CCarreiras

@CCarreiras wrote:

HI!

It's a lot better (regarding time consuming when saving and overall behavior) if you work locally, because Inventor is always communicating and updating the files (all kind of files).

THe fix? Maybe a better Network, faster.

Network storage will ALWAYS be slower than local storage, no matter what.  With a smaller file you may not notice it, but when you're working with 35-40 MB .IDW files that are calling on 50-100 other files ... it makes a pretty big difference.

mrattray wrote: Use Vault.

What'd the OP do to make you hate him that much?  😄

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
brian.cranston
in reply to: LT.Rusty

We've been chasing some similar issues.

1) Try forcing your ethernet card to the highest capable speed.  There is evidence (according to my MIS dept) that when you have both ends of the cable trying to autonegotiate, it can occasionally degrade to a lower speed, despite indicating it is something faster.

2) If your pc is plugged into an IP-Phone (like a Cisco) try rebooting the phone or swapping for another.  We actually had a cisco phone go bad last week.  The phone worked fine but the ethernet switch was bad.

3) Block the sports and news streaming feeds during World Cup 🙂

-Brian

Message 6 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: brian.cranston

4) try upgrading your network card drivers..

5) check out the one million other things that can cause slow network issues.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi Purely based on your description, the behavior does not sound right to me. I need a little bit more specific information in order to tell if there is something wrong. Could you help me answer the following questions?

1) When Inventor is saving the IDW file to the network location, is IDW the only file being saved? Are there IAM or IPT files being saved too?

2) What operation did you do before the save?

3) Could you try saving the same files to a local drive? Is it faster?

4) You said it seemed slower in R2015 than in prior releases. Is it based on the experience on the same operation on a similar IDW? Or it is just how it feels like?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 12

Hi,

answer for your questions

1) Yes, the .ipt & .iam is being saved too

2) Its the Save As command

3) Yes its obviously took faster time to save locally. Save as to Network took about 2 minutes to save.

4) It did not take that long to Save As to Network in R2011.

Thanks for your reply 😃

Message 9 of 12
syed.dzulkarnain
in reply to: mcgyvr

will try this. thanks Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12

Is it possible when you saved in R2011, the assembly and its parts did not need to be saved? While in later releases, due to change in the parts or the assembly or migration, the files need to be saved? If possible, I would like to see the files. It will help me understand the issue better.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 12
pball
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I just want to add that if your networked storage is under high load that can slow down transfer speeds. At a previous job the file server was on an 8 or so year old computer so it's slow cpu affected the speed that it could send files. A new server (sadly not for storage) was much faster at hosting files during a test.
Message 12 of 12
sam_m
in reply to: pball

we had what pball has just mentioned.

Saving/accessing the network took AGES at times, so I used the same assembly dataset and recorded the opening, pack & go and saving at different times during the day.  Before and after our working hours there wasn't a problem, but it was really bad first thing in the morning after clocking in and last thing at night before people clocked-off (basically when the majority of staff were logging in and out).  So I was able to highlight that our poor network performance was due to the network infrastructure being old and saturated.  We now have our own R&D server, which has improved things greatly 😉

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report