Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

saving an assembly to a project

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
richweiss1513
1565 Views, 2 Replies

saving an assembly to a project

I have an assembly that needs to added to a project. 

I'll admit I'm not clear on how the whole project system needs to be laid out even though I've used Inventor for several years.  Guess it's time to get some formal training.

If I save it to a library that is in the project I can't make changes so how do I take an existing assembly that needs to be worked on and add it to the project.

thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
trumpy81
in reply to: richweiss1513

You don't say what version of Inventor you are using, but the commands and locations are similar for many of the versions in use.

To start a project, Open Inventor, on the Ribbon Toolbar, click on the 'Projects' button. In the dialog that opens, click on 'New' and select either 'New Vault Project' or 'New Single User Project', the second option is preferred.

Next, You will have the oppurtunity to name your project, fill in the name where you see 'ProjectName'. You will notice that the Project (Workspace) Folder path will automatically update. Make a note of this path because ALL your project files are stored in that path/folder.

Next click on finish. Now select the new project in the project dialog if it has not been automatically selected for you.

Start creating parts, assemblies, drawings etc... They should all be saved in the project folder by default.

Any files that you have already created, gather them up and transfer them to the project folder of choice.

HTH

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 3
PaulMunford
in reply to: richweiss1513

To put it simply - your project file just points to a location on your server so that Inventor doesn't have to search your whole server for lost files.

(It also points to  anumber of other locations including library folders etc)

To move an assembly into  different project file, just copy and paste it from one folder to one that is defined by the project file (However, you need to make sure that you definatly have the whole assembly, so if you arent sure use pack and go)

Libray folders are 'read only' so if you copy it in here you won't be able to edit it...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report