Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving a cutout

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
342 Views, 5 Replies

Saving a cutout

Hi all, thanks in advance for all replies

I grabbed a 40' shipping container assembly from grab cad and put it into a file I am working on. (it is a fantastic fully functioning model). I want to put a cut out in one of the side walls for another door, about 6' x 7'. That is easy enough to do. My plan is to use the cutout and use some sort of flashing (probably 1/4"x3 flat bar) for the hole as well as the door. I would like to be able to keep the cut out and use it for the door on a track like a sliding barn door. Any idea on how I can make a cutout and keep the cutout porton as a new part?

Thanks, 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you looking into creating ifeatures/sheet metal punch tools?

I "think" that might be what you want. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

mayeb ive done it wrong, but that doesnt seem to work. I the punch tool only wants to do a form, it doenst want to let me punch out a slug. maybe it is the package of inventor I have

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I just tried it with the keyhole punch, that worked but would not let me keep the slug as another part. Its not the end of the world if I need to re draw the panel that I cut out and make a new part, but it would be cool if I didn't need to.
Message 5 of 6
mcgyvr

oh sorry.. didn't catch on that you wanted to save the "slug".

Off the top of my head I would use the "split" tool (split solid option).

That will create a new solid body for the slug.

Then (I haven't used this feature) but it should be as simple as using "make part" (maybe make components) to pull that new solid into another part.

again.. I haven't used those workflows at all (make part/make components) so I'm only guessing how the function. 

There might be other methods too.. I'm just not thinking straight today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! If I understood the workflow you are using correctly, you are trying to push assembly-level features to part-level. Unfortunately, it is a limitation and it cannot be done yet. You will have to create the the cutout in the part manually. There might be other ways to do it involving referencing the source assembly but you may run into cyclic reference. I don't recomment you use those workflows.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report