Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save ? twice

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
163 Views, 6 Replies

save ? twice

When existing an assembly, I usually save first. Inventor saves but 1/2 second later when I exist it asks wheather I want to save. Is there not something amiss. Should it not remember? Is it trying to save library parts , which it cannot. -- Ole Germer Making a good involute tooth profile possible in Inventor. http://www.geocities.com/olegermer/index.html
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have complained on this problem ongoing since at least version 5.3. It seems to happen for either of at least 2 reasons: 1. If you issue a rebuild all on an assembly with library parts. (As of IV8 when you save afterwards you can toggle the save state of any library parts but it hasn't seemed to help to toggle them as far as IV thinking they still need updating or not.) 2. Working on components and subassemblies "in place". This actually usually results in IV asking you to update the assembly the next time you open it. As an example of what I mean by this, I have a Base subassembly that I reuse in my gage designs by copying it to my project dir. After I place it in the top level gage design assembly, if I enter a base subassembly component to change the size of the base, and back out to the top-level to save, the next time I open the main assembly it will say the assembly needs updating, and the component that shows needing to be saved at this point is the base subassembly (along with the top level assembly too). I have long ago relegated this as something I must live with and have gotten into the habit of saving and re-opening assemblies until they finally don't complain about needing updating anymore. As far as I can recall, AutoDesk IS aware of this problem, but they have not been able to do much about it that I have seen. Bob S. "Ole Germer" wrote in message news:40360559_3@newsprd01... > When existing an assembly, I usually save first. Inventor saves but 1/2 > second later when I exist it asks wheather I want to save. Is there not > something amiss. Should it not remember? Is it trying to save library > parts , which it cannot. > > > -- > > Ole Germer > Making a good involute tooth profile possible in Inventor. > http://www.geocities.com/olegermer/index.html > > >
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

I, too, have noticed this pesky bug. However, I think it has recently elevated its status to a somewhat serious bug, at least at our office. Me and another engineer here have both encountered problems with saving in IV that I believe may be related to that bug. While working on a project that I was saving regularly, Inventor crashed. Now, I'd saved not more than 5 minutes before the crash. However, when I went back to re-open my assembly, all the parts I'd added since I'd begun that day's session were gone. The parts themselves had been saved and updated, but they were no longer in the assembly. This is terribly disappointing, since I'd made them all adaptive. They seemed to remember that they were adaptive in an assembly somewhere, tho, because when I tried to re-insert them into my assembly, adaptivity was disabled. I know for sure none of those parts were put in any other assemblies anywhere. This has happened to me twice, and to the other engineer in our office on at least 3 occasions. The reason I believe your bug (well, I guess it's really OUR bug, but the bug you wrote about, at any rate) and this bug are related, is that your bug appears to indicate that Inventor in fact ISN'T saving the assembly when you tell it to. It seems like it's keeping assemblies that I save in some sort of Save Purgatory until I force the issue by actually closing out the assembly. At that point, it'll go ahead and finally write my save to the disk. Hence, why it keeps insisting that you need to save your assembly before closing, despite having saved it 2 seconds ago and not altering anything since. Has anyone else encountered a failure of this type? Please let us know we are not alone. Cheers, -Bryan Shortall "Bob S." wrote in message news:403608f4$1_2@newsprd01... > I have complained on this problem ongoing since at least version 5.3. > It seems to happen for either of at least 2 reasons: > > 1. If you issue a rebuild all on an assembly with library parts. > (As of IV8 when you save afterwards you can toggle the save state > of any library parts but it hasn't seemed to help to toggle them as far > as IV thinking they still need updating or not.) > > 2. Working on components and subassemblies "in place". This actually > usually results in IV asking you to update the assembly the next time > you open it. As an example of what I mean by this, I have a Base subassembly > that I reuse in my gage designs by copying it to my project dir. After I place > it in the top level gage design assembly, if I enter a base subassembly component > to change the size of the base, and back out to the top-level to save, the next > time I open the main assembly it will say the assembly needs updating, and the > component that shows needing to be saved at this point is the base subassembly > (along with the top level assembly too). > > I have long ago relegated this as something I must live with and have gotten > into the habit of saving and re-opening assemblies until they finally don't complain > about needing updating anymore. > > As far as I can recall, AutoDesk IS aware of this problem, but they have not been > able to do much about it that I have seen. > > Bob S. > > "Ole Germer" wrote in message news:40360559_3@newsprd01... > > When existing an assembly, I usually save first. Inventor saves but 1/2 > > second later when I exist it asks wheather I want to save. Is there not > > something amiss. Should it not remember? Is it trying to save library > > parts , which it cannot. > > > > > > -- > > > > Ole Germer > > Making a good involute tooth profile possible in Inventor. > > http://www.geocities.com/olegermer/index.html > > > > > > > >
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Is/was there a xxxx.newver.iam file for that assembly in the directory tree? If there's a crash, and a file appears with the ".newver" appendage, try renaming the ".newver" file to the proper name of the assembly after deleting/renaming the original file. Other than that I have never seen a saved file have different stuff in it than when I saved it ... that I can remember at least. ~Larry "Bryan Shortall" wrote in message news:403a1ca5$1_3@newsprd01... > I, too, have noticed this pesky bug. However, I think it has recently > elevated its status to a somewhat serious bug, at least at our office. Me > and another engineer here have both encountered problems with saving in IV > that I believe may be related to that bug. While working on a project that > I was saving regularly, Inventor crashed. Now, I'd saved not more than 5 > minutes before the crash. However, when I went back to re-open my assembly, > all the parts I'd added since I'd begun that day's session were gone. The > parts themselves had been saved and updated, but they were no longer in the > assembly. This is terribly disappointing, since I'd made them all adaptive. > They seemed to remember that they were adaptive in an assembly somewhere, > tho, because when I tried to re-insert them into my assembly, adaptivity was > disabled. I know for sure none of those parts were put in any other > assemblies anywhere. This has happened to me twice, and to the other > engineer in our office on at least 3 occasions. > > The reason I believe your bug (well, I guess it's really OUR bug, but the > bug you wrote about, at any rate) and this bug are related, is that your bug > appears to indicate that Inventor in fact ISN'T saving the assembly when you > tell it to. It seems like it's keeping assemblies that I save in some sort > of Save Purgatory until I force the issue by actually closing out the > assembly. At that point, it'll go ahead and finally write my save to the > disk. Hence, why it keeps insisting that you need to save your assembly > before closing, despite having saved it 2 seconds ago and not altering > anything since. > > Has anyone else encountered a failure of this type? Please let us know we > are not alone. > > Cheers, > > -Bryan Shortall > > > "Bob S." wrote in message > news:403608f4$1_2@newsprd01... > > I have complained on this problem ongoing since at least version 5.3. > > It seems to happen for either of at least 2 reasons: > > > > 1. If you issue a rebuild all on an assembly with library parts. > > (As of IV8 when you save afterwards you can toggle the save state > > of any library parts but it hasn't seemed to help to toggle them as far > > as IV thinking they still need updating or not.) > > > > 2. Working on components and subassemblies "in place". This actually > > usually results in IV asking you to update the assembly the next time > > you open it. As an example of what I mean by this, I have a Base > subassembly > > that I reuse in my gage designs by copying it to my project dir. After I > place > > it in the top level gage design assembly, if I enter a base subassembly > component > > to change the size of the base, and back out to the top-level to save, the > next > > time I open the main assembly it will say the assembly needs updating, and > the > > component that shows needing to be saved at this point is the base > subassembly > > (along with the top level assembly too). > > > > I have long ago relegated this as something I must live with and have > gotten > > into the habit of saving and re-opening assemblies until they finally > don't complain > > about needing updating anymore. > > > > As far as I can recall, AutoDesk IS aware of this problem, but they have > not been > > able to do much about it that I have seen. > > > > Bob S. > > > > "Ole Germer" wrote in message > news:40360559_3@newsprd01... > > > When existing an assembly, I usually save first. Inventor saves but 1/2 > > > second later when I exist it asks wheather I want to save. Is there not > > > something amiss. Should it not remember? Is it trying to save library > > > parts , which it cannot. > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > > Ole Germer > > > Making a good involute tooth profile possible in Inventor. > > > http://www.geocities.com/olegermer/index.html > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I don't see a .newver file in here, unfortunately... I'll be honest, the other guy in our office had the problem before I did, and I figured it was just an error on his part, since I hadn't had any difficulty with it previously. However, since I saw it happen to me, I've come to think it is indeed an Inventor bug. Unfortunately, it's a difficult one to test for, since it happens when Inventor crashes, at least as far as I can tell. But this, combined with Inventor's nasty save-on-exit bug makes me think its save command isn't 100% stable. Perhaps this is something Autodesk can address in a future release/patch? Cheers, -Bryan "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message news:403a2f0f$1_3@newsprd01... > Is/was there a xxxx.newver.iam file for that assembly in the directory tree? > If there's a crash, and a file appears with the ".newver" appendage, try > renaming the ".newver" file to the proper name of the assembly after > deleting/renaming the original file. Other than that I have never seen a > saved file have different stuff in it than when I saved it ... that I can > remember at least. > ~Larry > > "Bryan Shortall" wrote in message > news:403a1ca5$1_3@newsprd01... > > I, too, have noticed this pesky bug. However, I think it has recently > > elevated its status to a somewhat serious bug, at least at our office. Me > > and another engineer here have both encountered problems with saving in IV > > that I believe may be related to that bug. While working on a project > that > > I was saving regularly, Inventor crashed. Now, I'd saved not more than 5 > > minutes before the crash. However, when I went back to re-open my > assembly, > > all the parts I'd added since I'd begun that day's session were gone. The > > parts themselves had been saved and updated, but they were no longer in > the > > assembly. This is terribly disappointing, since I'd made them all > adaptive. > > They seemed to remember that they were adaptive in an assembly somewhere, > > tho, because when I tried to re-insert them into my assembly, adaptivity > was > > disabled. I know for sure none of those parts were put in any other > > assemblies anywhere. This has happened to me twice, and to the other > > engineer in our office on at least 3 occasions. > > > > The reason I believe your bug (well, I guess it's really OUR bug, but the > > bug you wrote about, at any rate) and this bug are related, is that your > bug > > appears to indicate that Inventor in fact ISN'T saving the assembly when > you > > tell it to. It seems like it's keeping assemblies that I save in some > sort > > of Save Purgatory until I force the issue by actually closing out the > > assembly. At that point, it'll go ahead and finally write my save to the > > disk. Hence, why it keeps insisting that you need to save your assembly > > before closing, despite having saved it 2 seconds ago and not altering > > anything since. > > > > Has anyone else encountered a failure of this type? Please let us know we > > are not alone. > > > > Cheers, > > > > -Bryan Shortall > > > > > > "Bob S." wrote in message > > news:403608f4$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I have complained on this problem ongoing since at least version 5.3. > > > It seems to happen for either of at least 2 reasons: > > > > > > 1. If you issue a rebuild all on an assembly with library parts. > > > (As of IV8 when you save afterwards you can toggle the save state > > > of any library parts but it hasn't seemed to help to toggle them as far > > > as IV thinking they still need updating or not.) > > > > > > 2. Working on components and subassemblies "in place". This actually > > > usually results in IV asking you to update the assembly the next time > > > you open it. As an example of what I mean by this, I have a Base > > subassembly > > > that I reuse in my gage designs by copying it to my project dir. After I > > place > > > it in the top level gage design assembly, if I enter a base subassembly > > component > > > to change the size of the base, and back out to the top-level to save, > the > > next > > > time I open the main assembly it will say the assembly needs updating, > and > > the > > > component that shows needing to be saved at this point is the base > > subassembly > > > (along with the top level assembly too). > > > > > > I have long ago relegated this as something I must live with and have > > gotten > > > into the habit of saving and re-opening assemblies until they finally > > don't complain > > > about needing updating anymore. > > > > > > As far as I can recall, AutoDesk IS aware of this problem, but they have > > not been > > > able to do much about it that I have seen. > > > > > > Bob S. > > > > > > "Ole Germer" wrote in message > > news:40360559_3@newsprd01... > > > > When existing an assembly, I usually save first. Inventor saves but > 1/2 > > > > second later when I exist it asks wheather I want to save. Is there > not > > > > something amiss. Should it not remember? Is it trying to save > library > > > > parts , which it cannot. > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > > > > Ole Germer > > > > Making a good involute tooth profile possible in Inventor. > > > > http://www.geocities.com/olegermer/index.html > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I saw the crash on save scenario. It's a system problem but not sure I remember exactly what conclusions I came to about it. I reinstalled my disk image and that fixed the problem, but I'm thinking I didn't have SP4 installed before that. It could have been an add-in as I had several I didn't reload. That is the scenario, however, where you are left with the "newver" files and if you're in-place editing when it happens there's a newver file for every part that was referenced in all open drawings when you startup again. ~Larry "Bryan Shortall" wrote in message news:403a46e9$1_3@newsprd01... > I don't see a .newver file in here, unfortunately... I'll be honest, the > other guy in our office had the problem before I did, and I figured it was > just an error on his part, since I hadn't had any difficulty with it > previously. However, since I saw it happen to me, I've come to think it is > indeed an Inventor bug. Unfortunately, it's a difficult one to test for, > since it happens when Inventor crashes, at least as far as I can tell. > > But this, combined with Inventor's nasty save-on-exit bug makes me think its > save command isn't 100% stable. Perhaps this is something Autodesk can > address in a future release/patch? > > Cheers, > > -Bryan > > > "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message > news:403a2f0f$1_3@newsprd01... > > Is/was there a xxxx.newver.iam file for that assembly in the directory > tree? > > If there's a crash, and a file appears with the ".newver" appendage, try > > renaming the ".newver" file to the proper name of the assembly after > > deleting/renaming the original file. Other than that I have never seen a > > saved file have different stuff in it than when I saved it ... that I can > > remember at least. > > ~Larry > > > > "Bryan Shortall" wrote in message > > news:403a1ca5$1_3@newsprd01... > > > I, too, have noticed this pesky bug. However, I think it has recently > > > elevated its status to a somewhat serious bug, at least at our office. > Me > > > and another engineer here have both encountered problems with saving in > IV > > > that I believe may be related to that bug. While working on a project > > that > > > I was saving regularly, Inventor crashed. Now, I'd saved not more than > 5 > > > minutes before the crash. However, when I went back to re-open my > > assembly, > > > all the parts I'd added since I'd begun that day's session were gone. > The > > > parts themselves had been saved and updated, but they were no longer in > > the > > > assembly. This is terribly disappointing, since I'd made them all > > adaptive. > > > They seemed to remember that they were adaptive in an assembly > somewhere, > > > tho, because when I tried to re-insert them into my assembly, adaptivity > > was > > > disabled. I know for sure none of those parts were put in any other > > > assemblies anywhere. This has happened to me twice, and to the other > > > engineer in our office on at least 3 occasions. > > > > > > The reason I believe your bug (well, I guess it's really OUR bug, but > the > > > bug you wrote about, at any rate) and this bug are related, is that your > > bug > > > appears to indicate that Inventor in fact ISN'T saving the assembly when > > you > > > tell it to. It seems like it's keeping assemblies that I save in some > > sort > > > of Save Purgatory until I force the issue by actually closing out the > > > assembly. At that point, it'll go ahead and finally write my save to > the > > > disk. Hence, why it keeps insisting that you need to save your assembly > > > before closing, despite having saved it 2 seconds ago and not altering > > > anything since. > > > > > > Has anyone else encountered a failure of this type? Please let us know > we > > > are not alone. > > > > > > Cheers, > > > > > > -Bryan Shortall > > > > > > > > > "Bob S." wrote in message > > > news:403608f4$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > I have complained on this problem ongoing since at least version 5.3. > > > > It seems to happen for either of at least 2 reasons: > > > > > > > > 1. If you issue a rebuild all on an assembly with library parts. > > > > (As of IV8 when you save afterwards you can toggle the save state > > > > of any library parts but it hasn't seemed to help to toggle them as > far > > > > as IV thinking they still need updating or not.) > > > > > > > > 2. Working on components and subassemblies "in place". This actually > > > > usually results in IV asking you to update the assembly the next time > > > > you open it. As an example of what I mean by this, I have a Base > > > subassembly > > > > that I reuse in my gage designs by copying it to my project dir. After > I > > > place > > > > it in the top level gage design assembly, if I enter a base > subassembly > > > component > > > > to change the size of the base, and back out to the top-level to save, > > the > > > next > > > > time I open the main assembly it will say the assembly needs updating, > > and > > > the > > > > component that shows needing to be saved at this point is the base > > > subassembly > > > > (along with the top level assembly too). > > > > > > > > I have long ago relegated this as something I must live with and have > > > gotten > > > > into the habit of saving and re-opening assemblies until they finally > > > don't complain > > > > about needing updating anymore. > > > > > > > > As far as I can recall, AutoDesk IS aware of this problem, but they > have > > > not been > > > > able to do much about it that I have seen. > > > > > > > > Bob S. > > > > > > > > "Ole Germer" wrote in message > > > news:40360559_3@newsprd01... > > > > > When existing an assembly, I usually save first. Inventor saves but > > 1/2 > > > > > second later when I exist it asks wheather I want to save. Is there > > not > > > > > something amiss. Should it not remember? Is it trying to save > > library > > > > > parts , which it cannot. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > > > > > > Ole Germer > > > > > Making a good involute tooth profile possible in Inventor. > > > > > http://www.geocities.com/olegermer/index.html > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

BTW, if you open the normal file, the newver file is automatically deleted in case you're wondering why you don't see any after the fact. ~Larry "Bryan Shortall" wrote in message news:403a46e9$1_3@newsprd01... > I don't see a .newver file in here, unfortunately... I'll be honest, the > other guy in our office had the problem before I did, and I figured it was > just an error on his part, since I hadn't had any difficulty with it > previously. However, since I saw it happen to me, I've come to think it is > indeed an Inventor bug. Unfortunately, it's a difficult one to test for, > since it happens when Inventor crashes, at least as far as I can tell. > > But this, combined with Inventor's nasty save-on-exit bug makes me think its > save command isn't 100% stable. Perhaps this is something Autodesk can > address in a future release/patch? > > Cheers, > > -Bryan > > > "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message > news:403a2f0f$1_3@newsprd01... > > Is/was there a xxxx.newver.iam file for that assembly in the directory > tree? > > If there's a crash, and a file appears with the ".newver" appendage, try > > renaming the ".newver" file to the proper name of the assembly after > > deleting/renaming the original file. Other than that I have never seen a > > saved file have different stuff in it than when I saved it ... that I can > > remember at least. > > ~Larry > > > > "Bryan Shortall" wrote in message > > news:403a1ca5$1_3@newsprd01... > > > I, too, have noticed this pesky bug. However, I think it has recently > > > elevated its status to a somewhat serious bug, at least at our office. > Me > > > and another engineer here have both encountered problems with saving in > IV > > > that I believe may be related to that bug. While working on a project > > that > > > I was saving regularly, Inventor crashed. Now, I'd saved not more than > 5 > > > minutes before the crash. However, when I went back to re-open my > > assembly, > > > all the parts I'd added since I'd begun that day's session were gone. > The > > > parts themselves had been saved and updated, but they were no longer in > > the > > > assembly. This is terribly disappointing, since I'd made them all > > adaptive. > > > They seemed to remember that they were adaptive in an assembly > somewhere, > > > tho, because when I tried to re-insert them into my assembly, adaptivity > > was > > > disabled. I know for sure none of those parts were put in any other > > > assemblies anywhere. This has happened to me twice, and to the other > > > engineer in our office on at least 3 occasions. > > > > > > The reason I believe your bug (well, I guess it's really OUR bug, but > the > > > bug you wrote about, at any rate) and this bug are related, is that your > > bug > > > appears to indicate that Inventor in fact ISN'T saving the assembly when > > you > > > tell it to. It seems like it's keeping assemblies that I save in some > > sort > > > of Save Purgatory until I force the issue by actually closing out the > > > assembly. At that point, it'll go ahead and finally write my save to > the > > > disk. Hence, why it keeps insisting that you need to save your assembly > > > before closing, despite having saved it 2 seconds ago and not altering > > > anything since. > > > > > > Has anyone else encountered a failure of this type? Please let us know > we > > > are not alone. > > > > > > Cheers, > > > > > > -Bryan Shortall > > > > > > > > > "Bob S." wrote in message > > > news:403608f4$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > I have complained on this problem ongoing since at least version 5.3. > > > > It seems to happen for either of at least 2 reasons: > > > > > > > > 1. If you issue a rebuild all on an assembly with library parts. > > > > (As of IV8 when you save afterwards you can toggle the save state > > > > of any library parts but it hasn't seemed to help to toggle them as > far > > > > as IV thinking they still need updating or not.) > > > > > > > > 2. Working on components and subassemblies "in place". This actually > > > > usually results in IV asking you to update the assembly the next time > > > > you open it. As an example of what I mean by this, I have a Base > > > subassembly > > > > that I reuse in my gage designs by copying it to my project dir. After > I > > > place > > > > it in the top level gage design assembly, if I enter a base > subassembly > > > component > > > > to change the size of the base, and back out to the top-level to save, > > the > > > next > > > > time I open the main assembly it will say the assembly needs updating, > > and > > > the > > > > component that shows needing to be saved at this point is the base > > > subassembly > > > > (along with the top level assembly too). > > > > > > > > I have long ago relegated this as something I must live with and have > > > gotten > > > > into the habit of saving and re-opening assemblies until they finally > > > don't complain > > > > about needing updating anymore. > > > > > > > > As far as I can recall, AutoDesk IS aware of this problem, but they > have > > > not been > > > > able to do much about it that I have seen. > > > > > > > > Bob S. > > > > > > > > "Ole Germer" wrote in message > > > news:40360559_3@newsprd01... > > > > > When existing an assembly, I usually save first. Inventor saves but > > 1/2 > > > > > second later when I exist it asks wheather I want to save. Is there > > not > > > > > something amiss. Should it not remember? Is it trying to save > > library > > > > > parts , which it cannot. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > > > > > > Ole Germer > > > > > Making a good involute tooth profile possible in Inventor. > > > > > http://www.geocities.com/olegermer/index.html > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report