Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save idw to dwg all views full scale w/annotations

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
cadman777
744 Views, 7 Replies

save idw to dwg all views full scale w/annotations

Is there a way to save an idw sheet to FULL SCALE dwg drg, so that all the views are full scale and also maintain all dimensions and annotations in one uniform scale?

I need to do this for the flat patterns that go to the steel mill to get laser cut, and they want all the pertinent info accompanying the view/part-profile.

Thanks ...

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: cadman777

Chris,

You might be able to create Predefined Views in a drawing template that is full scale.  Then every view created off of them is what you are looking for.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 8
cadman777
in reply to: Cadmanto

Scott,

Great idea, if only I could make the idw file "auto-generate" a list of parts from disk!

What I'm asking for doesn't seem to make pre-defined views of value.

Basically, after I make a model and detail all the subassemblies for fabrication, I need to create a "flat pattern" sheet for the steel mill. So, on the last sheet/s, I pile as many parts profiles (= only one view) as possible. Last project I had around 50 part profiles on one d-sized sheet.

However, some of those parts are tiny compared to others (like a tank shell flat pattern is huge compared to a small angle flg gusset. So, I want IV to export all views out to dwg or dxf so that all the views are of the same scale, but not lose any annotations/dimensions.

To "cure" this need, thus far I've copied the idw file and delete all sheets with no "flat pattern" views on them. Then I change all views to one scale, one at a time. Then I can export to dwg/dxf and all views are same scale. It takes about 1/2 hour for 50 views, so it's not too bad. But I prefer if IV would do it for me like SW does.

Thanks for your input ...

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 4 of 8
Cadmanto

Chris,

That's a lot of work. Smiley Sad  I know I am not good with iLogic, but this looks like a perfect candidate for a routine to be written.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 8
cadman777
in reply to: Cadmanto

Scott,

Great idea. Only thing is, I have 2010 Suite, and don't have the iLogic add-in module for it (not on "Subscription").

No probs. It doesn't matter, as my "work-around" works just fine.

Besides, I was wrong about SW. They can't do anything more than IV can in this matter.

Thanks for your input ...

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 6 of 8
coreyparks

I have a VBA routine that exports the flat pattern from within the model and will create and export one if it doesn't exist.  So I open all of my sheetmetal parts and then run the routine and close on each one.  Works great as we don't want anything in our flat patterns but the geometry they need to laser/water jet cut.  Each flat pattern is saved as it's part number and we send a complete print package with as reference in PDF format.  Why wuold they want all the dims in the flat pattern that they then just have to delete or turn off?

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 7 of 8
cadman777
in reply to: coreyparks

Corey,

Thanks for that info. Did you write the VBA program yourself, or does it belong to the company?

The reason why the steel mill "needs" the annotations is b/c, as the customer told me, they're "not the brightest lamp on the street", & they have a QC routine that requires some dimensional info. Basically, it saves errors.

If possible, would you mind sharing w/me your VBA program and the instructions?

Cheers ...

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 8 of 8
coreyparks

Have you ever used any VB apps before?  The code gets placed in your Default VBA Project file.  You might want to change the default directory where the files get saved.  If you need specfics on how this needs to work let me know and I will get back to you.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums