Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Copy as .DXF create a file that is almost 50x larger than .IDW

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
SeanFarr
3053 Views, 20 Replies

Save Copy as .DXF create a file that is almost 50x larger than .IDW

Hello,

I have re-installed APDS Ultimate 2013 onto a new computer and am having some issues setting up my styles and etc...for the most part I have been working on it as I go with no issues...

but I can't remember how I set up my export to dxf settings before. I think I just used the default settings, I exported to dxf from the idw environment by saving copy as and selecting dxf from drop down menu and selecting something like AutoCAD 2004. This has worked before and still does now, but the problem is the dxf's that are exported are huge. The drawing is of a single tiny part with basic geometry. The picture below shows the size difference between the files.

filesize.png

Any ideas how I can make it a normal size, I don't really care about the size of the dxf except for the fact that I can't email it to anyone because we have a limit of 10MB.

Thanks

Sean Farr

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
20 REPLIES 20
Message 21 of 21
blair
in reply to: mrattray

I just dow a Export to DWG for the drawing and set the output to a older version of Acad such as 2000. Some of the steel shops don't have new version of Acad. For ourselves I can use either the DXF out from the Sheet-Metal to our older NC software. Use IGES out for some of the single parts for the older NC software or read directly the Inventor IPT and IAM files with the Radan software.

The Rada software will even flatten Sheet-Metal parts. I have yet to try it with some parts that won't flatten in Inventor, since all you do is select the surface in Radan and make sure you have the correct K-Factor and it will unfold/flatten the surface.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report