Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save copy as doesn't rewrite filename inv 2013

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
terje.antonsen
617 Views, 8 Replies

save copy as doesn't rewrite filename inv 2013

Hi all, 

problem: When using save copy as to make an identical part with a different number, the file name in the top and the browser doesn't update to the new filenumber. only in the bottom file tabs is the name correct. if I go to file> save as I can also see the new filename. This is a hassle when doing this to multiple files in an assembly, as it makes it hard to keep track of which parts have been given a new name. It seems the filename input in the browser is only written once, and that is when the first file was saved for the first time. 

Has anyone experienced something like this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: terje.antonsen

What happens if you close the part out and reopen the part.  Does it look ok then?

I ask, because if I have my Inventor session open for a while I can see some strange happenings.  Just wonder if that is happening to you as well.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
terje.antonsen
in reply to: Cadmanto

That doesn't fix it I'm afraid.

I get the impression that the input for the browser is written somewhere hidden in the file. 

Message 4 of 9
-niels-

Did you ever change the name at the top of the browser manually?

What happens if you (slowly) click twice on the name, so you can edit the text, delete all text and hit Enter?

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 9
terje.antonsen
in reply to: -niels-

That fixed it to the correct filename!

thank you.

However, this was not never necessary earlier, so I'd like to keep the thread open a little longer.

Message 6 of 9
Cadmanto

If you renamed the file originally, then this would be an explaination as to why it didn't change, but if you didn't, all three locations should rename automatically after the save as process is complete.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 9
-niels-

Yes, like Scot said;
if you manually change the name at the top of the browser, inventor sees that as an override.
So if you do a save (copy) as, it will retain the override.

Deleting the text and hitting enter resets the name, so it will act like you expect.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 8 of 9
terje.antonsen

This happens so often that I can say that I am very certain that I have files that don't update even though I didn't override the filename in the browser. ( I rarely do that, only sometimes but then after this problem has occured.)

Message 9 of 9
HarryP108

This happens to me from time to time as well.

Just happened again this morning.

Deleting the occurence name in the browser does correct it, but it would be nice to know why it occurs...

Regards.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report