Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save a copy of drawing and model

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Sharratt
830 Views, 1 Reply

Save a copy of drawing and model

I have a part (partA) and a drawing of it (drawingA)

I want to save a copy of both (partB and drawingB) and make changes to partB and drawingB will update.

To do this do I save a copy of partA first to partB and then in drawingA replace part to partB and then save a copy of drawing to drawingB

Is that the best way to do this?

Regards

Steve

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
SBix26
in reply to: Sharratt

If you just have one or two to do, this is the easiest way.  If you have many to do, the Design Assistant utility is more efficient.  Or, if you are using Vault, there is a Copy Design tool that will make life easier for you.

I would modify your technique just a little, though.  Simply copy partA and drawingA to partB and drawingB.  Then open drawingB and Replace Model Reference.

You don't say which version of Inventor you are using, though.  The Replace Model Reference tool is only in the last several versions.  Before that, the same procedure applies, but you would also need to temporarily change the name of partA so that upon opening drawingB Inventor would ask you to find partA, and you choose PartB.

Hope this is clear.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report