Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sand

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
jjs38
1232 Views, 14 Replies

Sand

Is it possible to fill a shell with sand?  The end use of my design will have sand - like in a childs plasitc basketball hoop/stand assembly and I would like to try to approximate the center of gravity and other useful info.

ACAD 2010
ACADE 2008
AIS 2009
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: jjs38

You want to find the internal volume and fill with solid.

This has been covered many times here in the past.  A search on the terms Potting or Void might turn up some examples.

Several techniques generally utilizing Sculpt.

Attach your file here for best results.

You will have to create a material with the same density of sand (easy to do, problably something already close).

Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 15
jjs38
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks.  For some reason the search function does not work for me.  I will peruse the help section on sculpt.

ACAD 2010
ACADE 2008
AIS 2009
Message 4 of 15
JDMather

There is a bit more to it than that.
I think to really understand you will need to see an example solution with your part.

I will try to work something up later - have to do real (paying) work for a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 15
kstate92

Search is somewhat broken and has been for months.  Just typing in your search terms and NOT hitting Enter nor the Search button will usually create a list of suggested matches that you can then select.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 6 of 15
karthur1
in reply to: kstate92

The search function works here fine.

2012-01-24_1510.png

Message 7 of 15
JDMather

Are you still working on this?

Message 8 of 15
jjs38

The sand problem or the search function?

ACAD 2010
ACADE 2008
AIS 2009
Message 9 of 15
jjs38
in reply to: karthur1

karthur1, thanks but I know how to use a search function.  It does not work for me.  It seems that I need to have suggestions enabled, otherwise nothing happens.  at least for me.

ACAD 2010
ACADE 2008
AIS 2009
Message 10 of 15
JDMather

@jjs38 wrote:

The sand problem or the search function?

Well, you never posted even the most basic of an ipt file (don't need your proprietary work) so I thought you figured it out and moved on.
I guess I (or someone else here) could take the initiative to create something for you.....

...what version of Inventor did you say you are using?

Message 11 of 15
bcrowell

I am still working on the same problem, trying to fill a void, but in an assembly with gaps built in by nature.  I have a very basic assembly I made just for this purpose, but please understand there is much more involved geometry in our proprietary parts and many gaps to fill.  Without making major part modifications (defeating the purpose to getting an accurate CG) is there another way to do this?

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 12 of 15
jjs38

JDMather,

Thanks for the offer.  I was just looking for some ideas or suggestions. My solution is this: create a solid in the region I oulw like filled with sand.  Then set the density in iProperties to that of sand, which i determined to be 1.45~1.55 g/cm^3.  My new problem is how to adjust the density of the iProperties.  I was thinking to try to locate the database which holds all iProperties and adding a new entry, but I cannot locate that.  Please forgive my naivety, but I am new to 3D... 

I am using AIS2009.

ACAD 2010
ACADE 2008
AIS 2009
Message 13 of 15
bcrowell

If you go to Manage> Styles Editor> Material, you can select a material, make a copy of it, and then adjust your material properties as desired.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 14 of 15
JDMather

@jjs38 wrote:

I am using AIS2009.

You should put that information in your signature.  Files are not backward compatable - glad I didn't spend time working up a solution you couldn't open anyhow.

As noted - go into your Styles Editor to add a new material.

Message 15 of 15
jjs38

Thanks

Good Idea about the signature...Done.

ACAD 2010
ACADE 2008
AIS 2009

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report