Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

same part different number

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
jasonraul
944 Views, 22 Replies

same part different number

I have 1 small assembly which will be used in 8 different locations on a large machine.I will use 8 of these small assemblies in the 1 large machine.I want the motor from this small assembly numbered from No.1 to No.8  ..  Is there a technique i can use which will allow me to use this 1 small assembly but also allow me to turn on the number i require.When i place the small assembly with No.1 i can then use the same small assembly but turn off No.1 and then turn on No.2 and so on until i have 8 small assemblies numbered from No.1 to No.8

Cheers

Jason

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
swhite
in reply to: jaybear

If you want them listed as seperate parts in the BOM, then yes, you are going to have to create sub-assemblies of your bolts and name them slightly different, perhaps with ETF on the end of one and without on the other. As far as Inventor is concerened, if they have the same names, they are the same part. You can take two completely different parts and override the name in the BOM and Inventor will list them as the same part, even if the different masses and lengths cause errors. So if you want them listed seperately, the only thing to do is name them seperately. You could of course create one bolt assembly, make it an iassembly, and then leave all parameters the same except add the ETF to the name. The only difference is an iasembly allows you to pick one of two different assemblies or switch between the two. In reality though it still creates two different assemblies, just makes tracking them easier.

So the short answer 🙂 Yes, you need two seperate assemblies if you want them seperate in the BOM. If you just want them designated as ETF on the drawing then a custom symbol will work fine as I posted earlier.

Your delima is exactly why we went to the trouble of creating a bolt grip chart which I have included. If you make the bolt assembly the largest gap shown, they will work for any grip range listed for that bolt. This includes one washer.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 22 of 23
jaybear

I created a custom content center bolt and inserted it into an assembly with a standard bolt to show you the results of my suggestion. It took about two minutes. The parts list shown in the attached drawing was created by inventor and has no manual edits.  The "x" in the "ES. TO FNCT." column was placed automatically as an iproperty. I think this method will accomplish what you want.

Message 23 of 23
jyager

Thanks guys, that pretty much answers it!

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report