Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same color looks like different color in inventor studio?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
GustavStigsohn
2723 Views, 12 Replies

Same color looks like different color in inventor studio?

Hi,

I would really appreciate some input.

I have two cylinders, same material, same color but they does not look the same (see attached). One is more glossy than the other.

I have cleared the appearance and added the color and material again but no difference. What is wrong?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
SBix26
in reply to: GustavStigsohn

It's possible that the appearance has been changed at the body, feature or face level.  Try right clicking on the solid (under the Solids folder at the top of the model browser) and selecting Properties.  In the Properties dialog box, set Body Appearance to As Part and check the Clear All Overrides box, then OK.

Solid Properties.PNG

It's also possible that the same appearance name has been altered locally, although I think that you updated both appearances from the library, correct?

Again, it's possible that the lighting style is different between the two parts.

Can you post the parts here?  What version of Inventor are you using?

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 13
cwhetten

I would agree with Sam that the lighting is probably different.  Comparing the underside of each part in the images you posted, it looks like they are the same color.

It looks like the difference is in the highlighting.  You may have different lighting styles active on each part, or maybe one part is located differently to the origin, and is closer to the lights?

-cwhetten

Message 4 of 13
GustavStigsohn
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

It's possible that the appearance has been changed at the body, feature or face level.  Try right clicking on the solid (under the Solids folder at the top of the model browser) and selecting Properties.  In the Properties dialog box, set Body Appearance to As Part and check the Clear All Overrides box, then OK.

Solid Properties.PNG

It's also possible that the same appearance name has been altered locally, although I think that you updated both appearances from the library, correct?

Again, it's possible that the lighting style is different between the two parts.

Can you post the parts here?  What version of Inventor are you using?

Sam B

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the late reply, been traveling. I am using Inventor 2013.

No difference with "Clear all overrides".

How do I check the lightning style? Under View>Appereance every thing looks the same. If I change the color to something else both cylinders look the same, so I guess it is something wrong with color but I can't find anything different?

The parts are old, created in 2005 something.

I can't post the parts, sorry.

Both cylinders are placed at the distance from the origo.

Thanks for your replies!

Message 5 of 13
Garren1013

I think this is an issue with how they've changed the material styles and whatnot.  I can take a template part, update the styles and it will switch to a slightly different color, then I update it again and it switches back.  I have not touched any material styles or appearance styles in Inventor, ever.

Inventor 2013
Windows XP
Message 6 of 13
blair

Yes, due to lighting and ray-tracing. If you use Ray-Tracing in the Inventor modeling enviroment it should look very close to rendering in Studio. Reflections will be the biggest difference.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 13
SBix26

Under the Manage tab, Style Editor.  The default lighting style (Two Lights) has light #2 with a gray-blue color, and changing this to white brightened my (Inventor) world considerably.  Now my whites look white, just like a laundry detergent commercial!

Sam B

Message 8 of 13
thedelee

You have to click on The material button at the part level, find your material in the top drop down double click it. than hit the appearance tab and make sure it's mapped to the same shape , i.e. mine neede to be cylinder, but was a sphere.  Etc.

Tags (2)
Message 9 of 13
thedelee
in reply to: thedelee

Oh, and than if it's in an assembly, click on the part, go to the tools tab and hit clear. Your welcome!
Message 10 of 13
Ad.Vos

That's sadly still not the solution.   I've been having the same problem since Inventor 2013 and I still experience the same in Inventor 2014.

I've checked the material choice in the appearance library, which is the same.  The parts also reference the same material library.

I've checked the lightning options on both items on part level, but they are also all the same.

Clearing the appearances overrides does not help, since there is no override present.

Strangly, the parts start out in the same color. They are generated from the same template file. At a given moment they just change color.  I really don't know why.

Attached is an example where the side plates are mirrored from each other.  In this case the sheet metal part in the different color is the base component from which the other side plate is mirrored,   but I have assemblies where the change of color is unrelated to mirroring. (I'm pretty sure this is not the source of the problem.)

Message 11 of 13
thedelee

The steps I offered have nothing to do with clearing the appearance overrides, you may try them.

Message 12 of 13
Ad.Vos

Hi Thedelee,

I have tried them, but sadly to no avail. They are both on spherical and are both referenced from the same material library.
Thank you for caring!

Best regards,

Ad

Ad Vos
Mechanical Design Engineer
TOMRA Sorting Solutions | Food

Direct dial: +32 16 740 320

[cid:image5d3316.JPG@bf19ab44.4ab84e9d]

[cid:image58e1f5.JPG@3f7bba5a.4584b137]

TOMRA Sorting NV, Research Park Haasrode 1622
Romeinse straat 20, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Fax: +32 16 396 390, www.tomra.com
The information contained in this communication and any attachment is confidential and may be legally privileged. It should only be read by the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete the communication.

Hmm, I remeber having to change frm spherical and back or actually use a different one, like walls. Sorry, works for me everytime.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report