Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same Assembly to use with Multiple Options

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cad
Advocate
985 Views, 6 Replies

Same Assembly to use with Multiple Options

I am new to Inventor. I need a help to solve problem having similar to example below.

Got a Top Assembly Named "A".

It contains Subassemblies "X" "Y" & "Z".

Got 10 different drawings of Top Assembly and Subassemblies.

Now. I got 50 OPTIONS with changing Parts in Subassemblies but the Top Assembly remains the same. What's the right way to keep Assemblies and Drawings with all options.

I have to revise any of OPTION any time and overwrite (Revised with) all 10 drawings again with modification.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: cad

Your description of the problem really isn't clear..

Not sure how your math is getting you 10 different drawings from only 4 assemblies?

Not sure where you come up with 50 options with changing parts in subs?

Why are you changing parts in subs?

I'm thinking you might need to be looking at iassemblies. but I basically got confused after the XYZ part.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
cad
Advocate
in reply to: mcgyvr

Sorry for confusions... Let me clear it.

Don't know if I am going wrong but I worked out my job making assemblies as below.

1.   SubAssembly "MAIN BASE FRAME.iam" - inludes complex frame structure which doesn't change any parts but changing only sizes of used parts like "Channels and Brackets" for 50 different options.

2.   SubAssembly " BASE SUB.iam" - includes Base Plates which chages Sizes, holes etc.

3.   SubAssembly " PIPEWORK.iam" which includes PUMPs and PIPEWORKs. That need to change 50 different PUMPS and so 50 different options for PIPEs & Valves to different options (Like PE, SS, DICL Pipes also differnt sizes and Number of different valves etc).

4.   Top Assembly "FINAL.iam" - includes all three SubAssemblies.

I Said 50 Options but I got hundreds of Options in real with a huge list of different Pump models.

Now I need to make 10 drawings as below.

"FINAL.iam" with all Subassemblies. FOR CONSTRUCTION

"FINAL.iam" with all Subassemblies. FOR CLIENT

"FINAL.iam" with removing "MAIN BASE FRAME.iam" Subassembly. FOR CONSTRUCTION

"FINAL.iam" with removing "MAIN BASE FRAME.iam" Subassembly. FOR CLIENT

Two drawings (includes diffent Views, Sections & Part list) for each of Three Subassemblies FOR CONSTRUCTION.

The Main Problem I am getting is as example below.

I made all the changes as per Option-1 and Printed all drawings Yesterday.

Again, I am making all the changes as per Option-2 to get all drawings Today.

Again, I will get few changes in Option-1 Tomorrow. So have to do it again what I did Yesterday.

I don't know if I can do it any different better way.

Sorry for a long story.

Many thanks.

Message 4 of 7
salariua

I think you need a bit of both, iassemblies and regular ones. 

I don't know your project but can't see how you're going to do the runs and routes in tube and pipe especially since you mentioned "different Number of valves". iassemblyes can handle suppress components but you can't dynamically extend pipes if a valve is missing in the route.

Hope you get the sens of what I am talking about.

You could create a couple of routes to handle the same run and play with suppressing the routes (based on nr of valves and fittings) but I get a headache just thinking about it.

So I would iassembly where I can, like that frame you mentioned that only changes in length and new assembly for the T&P assembly all the time.

Hope others have better suggestions.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: salariua

yep.. start going through all the tutorials/videos,etc.. you can find on both iparts and iassemblies.

It can help you a lot and it can also cause lots of headaches if you don't know what you are doing with it.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 7
The_Angry_Elf

Sounds to me like you'll need a few different approaches here.

iAssemblies can work in some of the cases, like the frames, but the pipe runs, those will not be able to be done for the reasons already mentioned.

You might want to consider where to use Level Of Details as well. With LOD's you can build all the different versions within one file and suppress unwanted components for each LOD you create. The files are all there in one database and you simply select wich LOD you want to use in the higher level assembly. And then lastly, I think you'll also have a few assemblies that'll be "stand alone" assemblies.

Definately go thru the tutorials at least. But if you can, get some authorized training, it'll pay for itself many times over. We offer Intro to Solid Modeling clases for Inventor all the time, in person or on-line....OK, enough of my sales pitch.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 7 of 7
cad
Advocate
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

Thanks Guys..

I am already using iParts but never thought of iAssembly.

I had a detailed study of iAssembly and LOD this weekends as you suggested.

It will sure give me a better solution if I apply LOD & iAssembly to my design. and so more confident to sort it out.

Many thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report