Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runoff Surface Problems

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
idesign4uti
1300 Views, 10 Replies

Runoff Surface Problems

I am having trouble creating a runoff surface on my part. I get failures due to recessed areas and a style groove. The short sides of the recessed area have radiuses in them When I attempt to use Create Runoff Surface or other Runoff Surface options, I get overlapping surfaces or the surfaces go through the part depending on the X or Y direction I set for the runoff. What am I missing. I have attached a photo of the part. I can attach or send an .ipt file if needed to diagnose. Thanks.
PjK
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: idesign4uti

@idesign4uti wrote:
.... I can attach or send an .ipt file if needed to diagnose. Thanks.

I only need the original part, not the mold assembly.

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
idesign4uti
in reply to: JDMather

I've attached the zip file of the part. Thanks.
PjK
Message 4 of 11
JDMather

No file attachment.  Try with a different browser (IE or Chrome) or you could post to Autodesk360 and then include download link here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 11
idesign4uti

I'm trying again using IE 10 our corporate firewall is a pain.
PjK
Message 6 of 11
idesign4uti

My problem was with the size of the file.  The max file size for this site is 5MB.  My file is 15.5mb. I've posted the zip file to the Autodesk 360 site.  Here is the link to it: http://a360.co/1eWufwQ

Thanks,

PjK
Message 7 of 11
JDMather

OK, I have it.

BTW if you rolled up the EOP the file was only  486 kb, then zip it only 447kb.  (and delete all the extraneous surface bodies)

Message 8 of 11
MingweiGao

Hello Pjk,

I took a look at your model and have some suggestion for you to create the runoff:

1. you can edit the Moldable Part by click the Edit Moldable Part command and create some 3D sketch(3 lines) in here;
  2. Create three boundary patches in this area – two for the side open holes, one for the big inner area;
  3. After created the three boundary patches, you can return to Mold environment and use the Use Existing Surface command to specify them as Runoff;
  4. Finally, you can use the Extrude Runoff Surface command and select the outer line to create the runoff(Y direction).

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 9 of 11
idesign4uti
in reply to: MingweiGao

Hello MingweiGao,

Thanks you for your solution. This worked great!  I had been close on previous attempts but, I did not realize I could use the 3D sketch to finish the Boundary Patch.  This made a big difference.

My next steps are to:

1. Click on Generate Core & Cavity. 

2. Click on Preview/Diagnose, when the Generate Core & Cavity window appears.

When the diagnosis is complete, a Problems List appears in the Parting Diagnostics tab of the Generate Core & Cavity window.  This show a large list of missing hole patches and runoff surfaces.  I will go back and fix each of these.  I am having trouble patching one shutoff area.  How do I patch this shutoff.  I've attached a picture with the shutoff with a cloud encircling it.  Does it need to be patched? 

Thanks,

PjK
Message 10 of 11
MingweiGao

Yes, you need to patch this area based on your parting design. You may need to split the faces, create some 2d/3d sketches and using them to create some surfaces in here, finally, use them as hole patch.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 11 of 11
idesign4uti
in reply to: MingweiGao

Thanks for the ideas.  I will work on them to patch this area.

PjK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report