Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running the Education suite in a Macintosh environment?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
VisAnSpec
579 Views, 9 Replies

Running the Education suite in a Macintosh environment?

Hello,

I will be teaching animation classes in a lab equipped with Macintosh computers starting January 12, 2015.  I am a long time Autodesk product user and would like to use 3DS Max instead of the Blender software I've been advised to use.  Before I go to the time and trouble of downloading the software, along with AutoCAD, Inventor and Mud Box, I would like some advice please.

What is the recommended minimum configuration?  Do I need to install a Windows emulator?  Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy Van Nostrand

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: VisAnSpec

Inventor runs on Windows OS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
VisAnSpec
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, I know that.  What about on a Mac?  How about 3DS Max, AutoCAD, & Mud Box?

Message 4 of 10
dgorsman

There is AutoCAD for Mac, which is a bit different than the Windows version and missing a few features.  Unknown about Mudbox; I think 3DSMAX is also Windows-only.  I'd recommend you go to the product page for each product you want to use and look at the System Requirements.

Regardless, if you intend to use Inventor you will need to either dual-boot and run genuine Windows or run under an emulator.  I'd opt for the former, as the programs your are listing are very graphics intensive which isn't well supported in an emulation environment.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 10
JDMather

@VisAnSpec wrote:

Yes, I know that.  What about on a Mac?  How about 3DS Max, AutoCAD, & Mud Box?

If you have Windows OS on your Mac, then these programs should run fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 10
VisAnSpec
in reply to: dgorsman

It is my policy to run on the seat of my pants and yes I do have friction burns to prove it.  I got my answer regarding 3DS Max and budget reality forced me to turn to Blender instead.  It is surprisingly robust.

Thanks for your reply,

Randy Van Nostrand

Message 7 of 10
VisAnSpec
in reply to: dgorsman

How do I get the Mac version of AutoCAD?  I assume that it is by download but I am now gunshy about moving forward.  I want to show my students how well AutoCAD and Adobe Illustrator work together.  I used them that way during the bulk of my Technical Illustration career.  I am disappointed by the realities of budget in the new world of education that I am entering.  Purchasing a large number of seats of the Windows operating system for a school that chose to outfit its labs with Macs is too big a bite.  I'd hoped 3DS Max or Maya ran in that environment.  I've been forced to go to Blender for 3D animation.

Thanks for your reply,

Randy Van Nostrand

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

@VisAnSpec wrote:

How do I get the Mac version of AutoCAD? 

Randy Van Nostrand

Schools get Autodesk products for free.
Locate your VAR http://www.autodesk.com/education/learn-and-teach/authorized-academic-partner/find-a-partner

http://www.autodesk.com/store/autocad-for-mac/whats-new?mktvar002=knc_wwm_amer_us_nc_ggl__autocadmac...

You might also look into Autodesk Fusion 360 as your modeler (runs on Mac or Windows OS).

Students get Autodesk products for free

http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

Message 9 of 10
JDMather

Cloud based CAD https://fusion360.autodesk.com/projects/editor_pick

Message 10 of 10
VisAnSpec

Thanks, I will look at Fusion.  I have never used it though.  I also intend to download AutoCAD for the Mac.  I assume it will be easily identifyable on the download page.

Kudos,

Randy Van Nostrand

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report