Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run Sub-assembly rule from parent assembly

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
-ianf-
1423 Views, 9 Replies

Run Sub-assembly rule from parent assembly

Is there a way to run a rule which is part of a sub assembly from the parent assembly?

I have a parent skeleton assembly containing many icopy assemblies. These subassemblies are based of one master assembly which in turn has a common part. (hence why I am using the icopy feature)

This standard part has an ilogic rule which varries the number of creases in a wall panel. eg. when the panel is 1200 wide there are 2 creases, when the panel is under 800 wide there is one crease and when the panel is less than 600 wide then there are no creases.

When I insert the icopy assembly into the master skeleton assembly and click select the widths of the panels they stretch and change to suit my skeleton. However I am having to visit each copied panel to run the crease rule.

Is there an operation or some sort of trigger I can implement to make this rule run as soon as the sub assembly is inserted?

Thanks.

Ian Farmery
Inventor & Vault 2023

Dell 7550 Xeon E-2276M, 2.80Ghz 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mrattray
in reply to: -ianf-

There is a run rule in component snippet that you could use to create a rule that could loop through your component tree and run them. A better solution might be to play around with the iLogic triggers in the sub assembly document, try on open document.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 10
-ianf-
in reply to: mrattray

Thank you Mike,

Tried looking at the triggers but nothing quite fits in with what I'm wanting to acheive.  How do I go about trying the run rule in component snippet?

Ian Farmery
Inventor & Vault 2023

Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Message 4 of 10
-ianf-

Right,

Got a little but further.

Using the "run rule in component does work", however I now need a way of linking the generated icopy assembly names into the "partA:1" within the rule. 

Ian Farmery
Inventor & Vault 2023

Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Message 5 of 10
mrattray

Is it possible for you to post any of your files? I don't use iCopy, so I'll have to play around with your assembly to get some code that will loop through reliably.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 10
-ianf-

I've attached 5 files.

1. Open Wall Assy.

2. Use iCopy and insert the Standard Wall Panel Assy.

3. Pick relevant points on skeleton.

4. Accept generated file names

In browser you should now have (under the icopy part) Standard Wall Panel Assy with skelton panel1:[x] & Standard Adaptive Panel1:[x]

The Creases Rule somehow needs populating with a captured part name. I don't want to have to keep visiting the rule and adding in the new part names.  Maybe I need to create some form of external rule referencing the Standard Adaptive Panel?

Many Thanks 

Ian Farmery
Inventor & Vault 2023

Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Message 7 of 10
mrattray

If you set the creases rule to trigger on "before save", the rule fires when the top level assembly (and it's iCopy sub assemblies) gets saved. Does this work for you?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 10
-ianf-

Thanks Matt,

That does work.

Is there not a way you can get the rule to trigger using udpate within the assembly or create a rule another rule within the assembly to trigger the crease rule?

Ian Farmery
Inventor & Vault 2023

Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Message 9 of 10
mrattray

Rules are normally triggered when a parameter used in the rule is changed. If ther'es a parameter that will always change when the iCopy is placed then you could add that parameter in a redundant way to the rule.

Otherwise you'll have to use code at the assembly level, something like a loop that runs through each occurence in the assembly and looks for the parts to programmatically trigger the rules.

I think that the before save trigger is a good way to handle the problem, but if you want it to be triggered via code from the assembly for some reason (or just want an example of how it could be done) I can throw something together for you.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 10
-ianf-

Thanks,

I will look into a parameter that will always change when the icopy is inserted and base a rule off that.

Ian Farmery
Inventor & Vault 2023

Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report