Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

run inventor 2014 as a regular user

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bmorency
813 Views, 6 Replies

run inventor 2014 as a regular user

Hi

We have just purchased product design suite premium 2014 and some things do not work properly when inventory is running as a standard user. One issue we have is when we go to open a .stp file a lot of file types are missing from the open dialog box. There are about 6 options when running as a standard user. When inventor is run as admin there are a lot more file types listed.

Another thing thatdoes not work as a standard user is the add-in manager.

We are running windows 7 professional 64-bit. Does anyone know how to run inventor as a standard user so we have all options available?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
scottmoyse
in reply to: bmorency

You have to install Inventor with full admin rights, UAC & Anti virus turned off.

Start up Inventor as that user. That way all of the users profiles for Inventor are fully loaded correctly.

Then change the users permissions to what ever your policy dictates after you have close Inventor down.... but in all honesty they should be a power user as a minimum.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 7
bob_holland
in reply to: bmorency

bmorency,

Welcome to the Forum.

I expect that the application has not fully registered as this user.

I have attached a PDF that will guide you through resetting the user's environment.

Please try that and let us know.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 4 of 7
scottmoyse
in reply to: bob_holland

@bob.holland wrote:

@bmorency,

Welcome to the Forum.

I apologise for failing to notice this was your first post. So Welcome to the forum from me as well Smiley Happy

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 7
bmorency
in reply to: scottmoyse

When I installed the suite I did not turn off UAC, the virus scanner was off though. This morning I turned off UAC, added the user to the local poweruser group and not for the domain than I have followed the instructions by Bob. I logged out than back in than started inventor. The problem is not fixed.

I am thinking of deleting his full profile. Does anyone know what else could be causing this?

Thank you.

Beau

edit: One thing I have tried is to create  a local standard user with default permissions and login as that user. I tried inventor and when I check the available file types all the options are available.

Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: bob_holland

@bob.holland wrote:

@bmorency,

Welcome to the Forum.

I expect that the application has not fully registered as this user.

I have attached a PDF that will guide you through resetting the user's environment.

Please try that and let us know.

Just a suggestion Autodesk..

I would suggest not listing it as 

Rename

a.HKEYxxxxx

b.HKEYxxxxx.org

But

Rename the

HKEYxxxxx

to

HKEYxxxxxx.org

a./b. is not the best chose for a document you freely release to the internet for anyone to come across.. Frankly I'd also expect a warning about tampering with registry settings when you don't know what you are doing either.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 7
bmorency
in reply to: mcgyvr

I have fixed this issue. I deleted the user's entire profile on his computer and started with a fresh profile. When the profile was recreated I started inventor and the list of file types was complete.

It seems there must be something else that must be removed to reset the inventor profile. I am not sure what that could be though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report