Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run ilogic rule from excel

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
andrewiv
802 Views, 5 Replies

Run ilogic rule from excel

Is there a way to run an ilogic rule in inventor from the excel API? 

I have a part that is driven by a spreadsheet and want to run an ilogic rule automatically when the excel sheet is changed.  Right now I have the rule set with the trigger to run on any model parameter change, which does run when you hit save in Excel.  However this rule also changed parameters itself, so the rule will run over and over.  This can take a long time.  When running the rule manually it doesn't take long at all.

I was thinking that calling the rule from excel would be a nice way to handle this but can't find how to do it.  If anyone knows or knows how to do what I'm describing, or another way, it would be appreciated.

Andrew In’t Veld
CAD Administrator

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MingweiGao
in reply to: andrewiv

Hello,

I suppose that you already have the rule(InventorVb.DocumentUpdate()) and set the trigger to run on any model parameter change. I just have a try with a simple and it can work well. Because of when you save the excel and the parameters in fx will be changed, so I am not sure of you mentioned - "However this rule also changed parameters itself, so the rule will run over and over." Could you share your dataset to me to have a try?

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 3 of 6
andrewiv
in reply to: MingweiGao

I got it figured out.  At the end of my rule I export the parameters from Inentor to Excel.  At the start of my rule I read the parameters in Excel and the parameters that I exported and if they are the same then I exit the sub.

Andrew In’t Veld
CAD Administrator

Message 4 of 6
MingweiGao

Glad to know you figured it out!

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 5 of 6
JohnBoySarcia

Now I have the same question, currently when I change something on excel eventhough i have InventorVb.DocumentUpdate, still I need to click on local update to see the changes. Is there a way that when excel saves, inventor file updates automatically

Message 6 of 6

Hi! I could be wrong but I think the iLogic update should just work. If possible, please share an example that exhibits the defective behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report