Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rounding decimal dimensions to the nearest fraction

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
costaaza_2
3088 Views, 9 Replies

rounding decimal dimensions to the nearest fraction

Way to round decimal dimension values to the nearest 1/16"? For instance, 43.0599 would display as 43.0625 (On a drawing). Tried playing with tolerances, but thought it would be better addressed as customization.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi,

Di you try playing around with the precision field in the styles editor. This might help to fix your issue.

2011-12-12_121527.png

However, if you want to retain the decimal places as well while doing a rounding off something similar to the one you have mentioned then its not possible at the moment. It has been already logged as an enhancement request with our development team.

You could also manually enter the values that you require while creating the dimension. Just as shown below.

2011-12-12_121846.png

Hope it helps.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 10
costaaza_2
in reply to: costaaza_2

I know exactly what you mean on the precision, but it is the second option I am looking for without having to edit every single dimension to make it happen. I am glad it is on the development teams radar. I hope to see it soon in the upcoming releases. I will be starting the testing on the next release I hope it is there.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I created seperate dimension styles, 2 decimal, no decimal, etc in my drawing template

Message 5 of 10
SBix26

As albmopar wrote, you want to do this by creating a new dimension style with the precision set to 1/16".  Then you either make this your Object Default so that all dimensions use this style by default, or at least it's available to choose from the list of dimension styles as you place dimensions, or afterwards.  You should not have to set the precision for each dimension individually.  The first image in Vinod's reply is the Style Editor where you would create this new style and save it to your style library.

Message 6 of 10
costaaza_2

I would like to hopefully clarify the direction of the conversation here. A few of you understood what I am trying to do, but others I don't think so or I just don't understand them.  I have a dimension style set to decimal with a pricision of three decimal places. What this does is it will show the dim as 2.308. With my pricision it would take the dim from 2.3076 and display it as 2.308. I am trying to still work with decimal dimensions with 3 decimal place precision but I want my precision to not round to the next decimal place but to the next fraction. So take the 2.308 and round it to 2.3125 or take 2.724 and make it 2.750. Another way to look at it is, I want to use fraction dimension which round the way I want but display it as decimals.

Message 7 of 10
SBix26

You're right, I misunderstood what you are trying to accomplish.  All I can do is wish you good luck...

Message 8 of 10

Hi Caza,

I understood your problem earlier as well. As i mentioned before, I don't think its possible to round the decimal fractions at the moment. You need to manually enter the decimal fractions as shown in my previous picture. However you can log an enhancement request with our developers through the following product feedback form,

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Do let me know, if you have any questions or concerns.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 9 of 10

Has this functionality ever been incorporated into Inventor? I am looking to do the same thing as the original post.

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: aritchey

Hi! Unfortunately, I am not aware of a way to do that. It is either a decimal value or a fractional value. But, it is not a converted fractional value.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report