Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotation-Translation Constraint

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
BARNUG
2593 Views, 7 Replies

Rotation-Translation Constraint

Hi all,

I have a Machine at work that operates on a rack and pinion. I have got an accurate measured model of the pinion but only a less accurate measurement of the rack (hard to access!!). I have modelled both parts and want to check if the number of teeth on the rack is correct over the distance in relation to the pinion teeth. Basically what i was wanting to do is to check in the assembly environment that my pinion of 18 (Addendum circle Dia 62.46mm) teeth is correct for my rack of 96 (910mm long) teeth. I have used the rotation-translation constraint but can't seem to figure out what the correct distance ratio to use to see if the rack is of accurate measurement!?

This will hopefully tell me if my number of teeth are correct for meshing with the pinion of 18 teeth. How do you work out an accurate ratio? Is this possible?

Any help appreciated?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: BARNUG

The rack will move a distance equal to the circumference of your pinion at
the pitch diameter for each revolution of the pinion.

wrote in message news:5148224@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi all,

I have a Machine at work that operates on a rack and pinion. I have got an
accurate measured model of the pinion but only a less accurate measurement
of the rack (hard to access!!). I have modelled both parts and want to check
if the number of teeth on the rack is correct over the distance in relation
to the pinion teeth. Basically what i was wanting to do is to check in the
assembly environment that my pinion of 18 (Addendum circle Dia 62.46mm)
teeth is correct for my rack of
96 (910mm long) teeth. I have used the rotation-translation constraint but
can't seem to figure out what the correct distance ratio to use to see if
the rack is of accurate measurement!?

This will hopefully tell me if my number of teeth are correct for meshing
with the pinion of 18 teeth. How do you work out an accurate ratio? Is this
possible?

Any help appreciated?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

If you can't figure out the ratio can you post the rack and pinion?
Message 4 of 8
BARNUG

Thanks Guys,

JD I have posted the file as an .iam, hope this is ok?

Bear in mind i have not modelled true gear teeth profiles as it is only an exercise to see if i have the correct length and teeth number for the rack in relation to the pinion.

I am using V10.

Cheers

B
Message 5 of 8
R.Corriveau

"Bear in mind i have not modelled true gear teeth profiles as it is only an exercise to see if i have the correct length and teeth number for the rack in relation to the pinion."

P.D * Pi * # of Rev's=Rack Travel (min. length)
Message 6 of 8
R.Corriveau

In addition.

# of teeth on rack= # of pinion teeth * # of Rev's
Message 7 of 8
JDMather

There is nothing in an assembly file other than links to the part files and assembly constraints. You need to include ipt files with the iam.
There is a rack and pinion in the samples folder that one of my students did a couple of years ago. Samples/models/assemblies/Arbor Press. Suppress the angle constraint on the pinion shaft. Isolate the pinion shaft and ram (rack). Suppress the rotational/translation constraint. Line up the teeth by eye. Unsuppress the rotational/translation constraint and move the ram.
The pitch diameter of the pinion was 1", therefore the circumference was PI. The student could have entered PI*1 as the ratio. I think he tried PI but didn't understand the units and ended up rounding off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 8
BARNUG

Thanks JD and the rest,

Got it sorted, the rack tooth profile is incorrectly measured as the pinion teeth do fall out of sync as the length increases over the revolutions.

Thanks for all your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report