Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate Model with Middle Mouse Button

98 REPLIES 98
SOLVED
Message 1 of 99
m209112
98725 Views, 98 Replies

Rotate Model with Middle Mouse Button

I've been researching this all day and I can't find anything that works for me.  Is there a way to change the middle mouse button from "Pan" to "Rotate" my model?  Currently, I hold "Shift" while holding down the middle mouse button and that rotates my model.  Can I incorporate that into my middle mouse button somehow without having to buy a 3D Connexion mouse?

98 REPLIES 98
Message 41 of 99
blair
in reply to: elonas

I guess after working for this long, I've quite wasting my time on "hacks" and "work-arounds" on something as simple as a mouse. My time is worth more than trying "hacks" to get buttons programed on a mouse for Inventor ,Showcase or ACAD.

It's easier to order up a CAD designed mouse because it's not so much about the mouse as it's the software interface to use the mouse with the products I use each day.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 42 of 99
ACEDeSmedt
in reply to: m209112

The solution that works for me for over a year now is with X-mouse (I even set my 3D Connection mouse on the side)

• http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm
  • Create a new Application Profile for Inventor.exe
  • In the profile, Layer 1, override the Middle Button with Simulated Keystrokes:
  • {SHIFT}{MMB}
  • 3 During (press on down, release on up)
  • Only send if profile's process is active
  • Block original mouse input

As an additional option, In the general settings, I enabled Bypass ALL actions when SCROLL LOCK is ON. This way, I can quickly disable the functionality when I need to pan the view instead of rotating it.

X-Mouse 01.png

X-Mouse 02.png

X-Mouse 03.png

=================================
If this is the solution, push the solution button 😉 (and maybe some kudos)
Autodesk Product Design Suit - Ultimate edition (Subscription)
Message 43 of 99
Alexey
in reply to: seytayfun

Thank you seytayfun for providing the correct answer. Seems many people in this thread don't realise that Space Mouse is not required when mouse is set up correctly. I worked in SolidWorks for many years and with their interface there is absolutely no need for these gimmicks.
Message 44 of 99
seytayfun

You are welcome man. Glad to hear that it works for you.
Message 45 of 99
brandon.hodapp
in reply to: mrattray

watching anyone work with a space pilot is like watching paint dry

Message 46 of 99
SBix26
in reply to: brandon.hodapp

@brandon.hodapp wrote:

watching anyone work with a space pilot is like watching paint dry

... due to the lack of extraneous motion.  No scrolling, no clicking on navigation tools or holding down keys, just barely perceptible movements of the 3D controller hand and small mouse movements and clicking from the mouse hand.  Yep, pretty boring, and pretty productive.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017 R2
Vault Basic 2017
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 47 of 99
kiranvarghese1
in reply to: seytayfun

Thanks seytayfun this helped me
Message 48 of 99
SharkDesign
in reply to: blair

I use x control as mentioned above, it's awesome and free.

Except I use it to switch the function of middle and right buttons because I get seriously bad repetitive strain injury from holding down middle button to pan.

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Tags (1)
Message 49 of 99

I made the (shift+middle button) into middle button using xmouse the main reason for using this is i come from using solidworks and this helped me .
Message 50 of 99
Jesse
in reply to: kiranvarghese1

I got this to work using x-mouse but my pan function went away. I want CTRL + MMB to pan. How do I make that happen?

Message 51 of 99
ACEDeSmedt
in reply to: Jesse

@jesse wrote:

I got this to work using x-mouse but my pan function went away. I want CTRL + MMB to pan. How do I make that happen?

I use zooming out and in (scrolling) to move my view position.  If I need to pan a lot, I disable x-mouse using Scroll Lock explained in a previous post.

Message 52 of 99
johadlock
in reply to: shumkarov

Awesome Awesome!! Works great Inventor 2017.

Message 53 of 99
ACEDeSmedt
in reply to: johadlock

I came across a problem with my solution that, sometimes, the Shift key didn't came through. (Probably the combination with Synergy/Windows 10/...)

I solved this by changing the {SHIFT} code to {VKC:16} (16 is the Virtual Key Code for shift). This is my current configuration:

image.png

(For those who are wondering, using {F4}{LMB} instead of {SHIFT}{MMB} worked but was not that pleasant to use)

Tags (2)
Message 54 of 99
kiranvarghese1
in reply to: ACEDeSmedt

I also got this problem that some times when i click the center mouse button the rotation dont work , for that i open xmouse and just close it that solved my issue .Smiley Happy

Message 55 of 99
jovanmitrovski

Hi All,

I want to change the settings where I use the middle mouse button and hold shift to rotate view in 3D

At the moment it is set to the right click and hold shift.

How do I change this?

Kind Regards

Message 56 of 99

hi you can use the software called "x mouse button control" its free just google it and after installing you can assign which ever option you want .

Message 57 of 99
ACEDeSmedt
in reply to: jovanmitrovski

Hi jovanmitrovski,

I've written down detailed instructions in this thread. Here is a link to the instructions.

If you notice some problems with the shift-key behaving strange, try replacing the {SHIFT} code with {VKC:16}

Let us know if this answered your question.

Message 58 of 99
rcampbellE999V

I use a Logitech G600 gaming mouse. It has a 3rd button for the ring finger that is programmed for rotation. Works great. It has a lot more buttons for the thumb but I only use a couple of those.

Message 59 of 99
EuroSortMD
in reply to: ACEDeSmedt

Tip:

I have set the simulated key {SHIFT}{MMB} to my Mouse Button 5. This makes it very easy to rotate and zoom the model at the same time pressing the mouse button 5 with my thumb and using the scroll wheel with my pointing finger. This way of rotating/zooming I find much more accurate than a Spacemouse.

I use a 3Dconnexion CadMouse with the X-Mouse software. I tried using the 3Dconnexion 3DxWare driver but I could not make it work like the Xmouse software. To prevent conflicts, it is better to remove the 3DxWare driver and only use the X-Mouse software with a 3Dconnexion CadMouse.

X-Mouse Button 5.jpg

Message 60 of 99
EuroSortMD
in reply to: rcampbellE999V

Hi rcampbell999V

Do you use the Logitech G600 gaming mouse in combination with X-Mouse or do you use the Logitech driver. I like to know if it is possible to program the extra mouse buttons of the Logitech G600 gaming mouse with the X-Mouse software. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report