Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate Model with Middle Mouse Button

98 REPLIES 98
SOLVED
Message 1 of 99
m209112
98061 Views, 98 Replies

Rotate Model with Middle Mouse Button

I've been researching this all day and I can't find anything that works for me.  Is there a way to change the middle mouse button from "Pan" to "Rotate" my model?  Currently, I hold "Shift" while holding down the middle mouse button and that rotates my model.  Can I incorporate that into my middle mouse button somehow without having to buy a 3D Connexion mouse?

98 REPLIES 98
Message 2 of 99
mcgyvr
in reply to: m209112

@m209112 wrote:

without having to buy a 3D Connexion mouse?

GET a 3d connexion mouse.. You can get a space navigator for under $100 bucks.. EVERYONE recommends them for 3d cad users.. I have one (had a navigator and now have a spacepilot) and would NEVER..NEVER go without it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 99
m209112
in reply to: mcgyvr

I know, but is there any way to program my mouse to do that?

@mcgyvr wrote:

@m209112 wrote:

without having to buy a 3D Connexion mouse?

GET a 3d connexion mouse.. You can get a space navigator for under $100 bucks.. EVERYONE recommends them for 3d cad users.. I have one (had a navigator and now have a spacepilot) and would NEVER..NEVER go without it.

Message 4 of 99
mcgyvr

@m209112 wrote:

I know, but is there any way to program my mouse to do that?

Nope.. Its hard coded.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 99
sam_m

a really crude (and probably not really recommneded) way could be to map f4 to your middle-mouse button - if your mouse driver supports that...

My Logitech drivers allow me to assign a key-command to each button, so in theory I could set f4 to one of the buttons.  BUT... you need to remember never to accidently press that mouse-button while pressing Alt on the keyboard, or you'll be swearing at something quickly (and thus why it's probably not highly recommended).  If you can get application profiles to work (again, a Logitech driver feature) you may be able to get the mouse to behave like this only within Inventor and have middle-mouse work as middle-mouse in all other applications - just a thought...

Thinking about it - if your mouse supports macros then could try changing middle-mouse to be Shift+middle-mouse...  to avoid the potential alt + f4 middle-mouse "fun"

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 99
stevec781
in reply to: mcgyvr

That hard coding is really dumb to me.  In 3D we rotate way more often than we pan.  They should have MMB set up so that it rotates in 3D and pans in idw.  Just another area where other programs lead the way.

I havent used the new ones but I have a spaceball 5000 usb.  The drivers are old but still work fine (but slow in fusion).  The reason I havent updated is that the 5000 has a large dia ball that is a perfect size for all day use.  The new smaller ones that are used with only fore finger and thumb look like a cramp waiting to happen.  I could be wrong about that though.  The 5000 series are often on ebay cheap.

Message 7 of 99
mcgyvr
in reply to: stevec781

Feedback from users was that

shift+mmb=rotate

mmb=pan

Not that I care.. I'm smart and have a 3d connexion. Smiley Tongue losersSmiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 99
JDMather

@stevec781 wrote:

... really dumb to me.  In 3D we rotate way more often than we pan. 

I pan, zoom and rotate all at the same time without even thinking about it.
I use a SpaceNavigator.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 99
stevec781
in reply to: JDMather

Me too with my $50 spaceball from ebay.  If autodesk surveyed its users and this is what they voted for then so be it.

Message 10 of 99
cbenner

Message 11 of 99
seytayfun

Here is the best solution for you

1-download X-mouse

2-after you install, go to setup

3-layer name , type anything you like

4-click middle botton and scrool down till you see simulated keys

5-type: {F4}

6-choose option 8 Sticky (held down......)

9-accept

now try and see

Message 12 of 99
mrattray

When I accepted my position at my curent company I insisted on them giving me a space ball. I told them not having one would be like asking me to work with only my left hand. I have an obsolete version of the Space Pilot that someone dug out of a back closet.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 99
swhite

They only like $79 bucks for the basic one. Tell em to fork it over, or you will continue to have to take twice as long as needed to navigate in your assemblies. production time = money. My last company was that way (god forbid they have to upgrade equipment) and just bought one for myself to save me the headache. They eventually reimbursed me, so no harm done.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 14 of 99
LT.Rusty
in reply to: swhite

I couldn't work without my SpacePilot.

I bought one for myself, one of the obsolete ones, about 3 years ago.  Got so used to using it that these days I couldn't work without it.  When I started with my company, I brought it in with me.  The other guys were so jealous of it that after about 6 months, the company bought the current SpacePilot Pro for everyone, and I got to take my old one back home again.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 15 of 99
seytayfun
in reply to: seytayfun

Here is even better solution:

follow my earlier steps but type {F4}{LMB}

you will use your middle button just like in solidworks. I know it is not easy to get rid of Solidworks habits.

Message 16 of 99
timmaay

I disagree whole-heartedly with the idea that "Autodesk did a survey and people said X, so be it".  The survey should have been used for nothing more than setting the default.  There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to hard-code something like this.  The keyboard shortcuts are all re-mappable.  Why not this?  It's no different, conceptually.

It should be changeable, re-mappable, period.

For the record, I tried the space ball / space explorer both.  Hated them.  I tried them for a month, and I felt like they hampered my presicion.  I am used to the fact that when I use a mouse, the objects only move directly proportional the movements of my mouse... as if it were an extension of my own movement (like with the exo-skeleton in Aliens).  With the space explorer, et al, the movements are of the type where holding the ball in one direction (regardless of how far or how hard) causes motion to continue.  In other words, to create a single movement on the screen requires TWO motions of the hand.  With a mouse, it's only one.

Therefore, for me, the mouse is more efficient.  That is, it WOULD be... if I could control the behavior of the buttons.  This hard-mapped nonsense has GOT to go.  I'm honestly jaw-on-the-floor flabbergasted that it's not already fixed after all this time.  It's such a given in EVERY environment I've used that it was inconceivable to me that something like this could even BE hard-mapped.  I was actually just searching for where the options window was hidden when I found this thread.  It never occurred to me for 1 second that such an options window wouldn't even exist.

Autodesk... PLEASE FIX THIS!!

Message 17 of 99
cbenner
in reply to: timmaay

Hi, and welcome.

Word of advice... a rant is probably not the best way to introduce yourself on these forums.  If you have a question about something we are more than happy to help.  If you have a suggestion for Inventor, I recommend posting it (nicely) on the Idea Station.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

My two cents worth.

Message 18 of 99
timmaay
in reply to: cbenner

fair enough.   Your point is valid, and I acknowledge that rants are often less productive than one would hope they would be.

Suffice to say my emotional response came after a bit of banging my head against the wall in frustration, only to be confronted (upon discovering this recent discussion on this forum) with the ultimate answer that "it can't be done".  Since I had seen this same complaint posted in several other discussion groups, across multiple forums, and dating back many years and many versions, it was my conclusion that this was a common complaint which had inexplicably not been addressed.  Hence, I felt a rant seemed like a reasonable option under the circumstances.  That being said, I agree that even considering the potential value of a rant, that such a thing coming as a first post from brand new user probably has even less chance of creating a positive influence.

I will indeed politely suggest that this issue be addressed.  Thank you kindly for posting the link to the suggestions link.

Message 19 of 99
JDMather
in reply to: timmaay

@timmaay wrote:

For the record, I tried the space ball / space explorer both.  Hated them.  I tried them for a month, ....

Years ago I won a Space Traveler and a Space Pilot.
Tried them out for a while and never got the hang of flying these things.
I was about to box them up and put them on E-bay when I decided to give them one more try.

Went into the 3D Connexion Control Panel and changed the default OOTB settings.

After making changes to suite me, I was flying like an ace fighter pilot within 5 minutes.

Purchased 50 of these things for the rest of the group here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 20 of 99
blair

You definitely need to change the default settings. I couldn't work without one. It's now been 12 years of using a 3D mouse, I can't work without one.

The first day I got dizzy and needed the "Home" button, by the end of the second day I never work without one.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report