Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roofs in Inventor

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
402 Views, 2 Replies

Roofs in Inventor

An odd question... We were asked by a client if we could produce an application or method on Inventor to increase their drawingprocess for complex roofs. We did an investigative project, produced a parametric roof-model... all fine.. but the 'problem' is the huge diversity in roof-forms and forthflowing detail-drawings. Now, my question is if anybody has any experience in this field, or heard of any.. and ofcourse any suggestions concerning our 'problem' are welcome! thanx, hope to hear you...
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I suspect there would be quite a few here who would love to sell you consulting work to accomplish this. The trick would be to identify a majority of the totally different configurations up front, build a VB/form-based front-end (to select the basic approach) and then put the various pieces needed by Inventor "under" that. Building a single assembly and "hiding" all the stuff you didn't need would not be the best (or most performant) way to approach the problem.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Well yeah I suspect that too.. but we're an ADN member ourselves so if we need consulting we're probably using that connection. It's just that we are not sure if this is a good idea to produce an application for this specific usage. The problem is; We identified the majority of totally different configurations... it ended up to be a rather high number, but within a reasonable range (just barely). But we're not sure if we should multiply this number of configurations with all the 'detail-configurations'. As I look at it now, we would need to produce different Inventor models depending on the detail-solutions... since parts are adeptively connected and the I-mates/workplanes and such need to be defined differently for different ways of making joins (technical details). If this is really the case (as I suspect) the whole application is economically out of range, the productioncost of it would make the product -way- too expensive for anyone to be interested in buying it from us... not to mention the time and efford it would take out of our organisation. > so.. you suggest VB front-end (as we do) but we also would need something like VB 'internally', not just to redefine adaptive parameters but to actually do assignments such as 'mate this-and-that end of so-and-so part with a certain workplane' (as we would define workplane selection through VB/form). I hear VB possibilities in Inventor are there, but it's not this advanced yet.. also keeping in mind that the models we would need to use end up to be extremely complex (the test-model I produced took lots of work as to how to arrange the assembly structure, sub-assemblies etc.. it is a very sensitive thing). Love to hear any input/suggestions 😉 Vincent "Gary R Smith (Autodesk)" > I suspect there would be quite a few here who would love to sell you > consulting work to accomplish this. > > The trick would be to identify a majority of the totally different > configurations up front, build a VB/form-based front-end (to select the > basic approach) and then put the various pieces needed by Inventor "under" > that. > > Building a single assembly and "hiding" all the stuff you didn't need would > not be the best (or most performant) way to approach the problem. > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report