Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolling a Plate

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Talayoe
888 Views, 7 Replies

Rolling a Plate

Howdy all,

I was just toying with a C3 x 4.1 x 31'2-1/2" LG piece of channel from content center. What I want to do is roll it into a complete circle, radius given on 2d drawing is 4'7-25/32r. 

I tried putting a line the length of the channel, didnt work. Tried a short line in the center. Or made the rad on the center. Therefore I am not sure how to put this rad and roll entire part.

File attached to see what I did... And failed lol

Thanks! =]

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mdavis22569
in reply to: Talayoe

Take a copy of the profile sketch Start a new part or do this in the existing ...

In the main sketch ..make a line 4'7-25/32r. up ...change it to centerline and then revolve the profile ... I've attached a part to show it

or are you looking for something to flat pattern?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
JDMather

A simple sketch of the given dimensions demonstrate that they aren't even close?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 8
Talayoe
in reply to: mdavis22569

Md,

I do not need a flat pattern since its a c channel. Just need to get the material and have it rolled around the outside of a vessel. Put my laptop away already, so i will have a look later.

jD,

Always fixing my stuff that doesnt make sense, eh? Lol. I do t mind, trust me. As i said, i was just going off the 2D drawing that a customer gave me that was drawing aprox 15 years ago. I didn't do my diligence of checking that it rolled to the right size before posting the question. Sorry.
-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 5 of 8
mdavis22569

Ok .... mine should show you what I was saying ..and how it was done (however I didn't fully constraint it all ...but rather quick example)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: mdavis22569

@Anonymous wrote:

(however I didn't fully constraint it all ...but rather quick example)

Of course it is a good idea to always check against the problem statement.

Loop.PNG

I worked my way through part of uni as an AE for a VAR.
Every time I would go out on sales call I would do my dog-and-pony show and they would politely watch.

Then when I finished they would always throw some knarly drawing in front of me and say, "Now draw this."

Virtually ever single time I would get half way through I realize I must of made a mistake.  Wait a minute. 

I didn't make a mistake - the drawing was wrong. This happened every single time. 
Made the sale, every single time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
4donwan4

I would agree with the suggestions offered here.

Regards,

Don

Message 8 of 8
jletcher

You may have been helped already but here is what I do..

I don't use content center parts I have my own.

This may help you when you need to roll channel the excel has all channel sizes just use the drop down and select size..

In the fx you will see lenght to change that..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report