Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolling a Flat to Create a Cylinder

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mdwildcat
5580 Views, 13 Replies

Rolling a Flat to Create a Cylinder

I want to take a “Flat” sheet I have created and roll it into a Cylinder. How would I go about this? I know how to create a hollow cylinder. But the problem we are running into is that fact that if I create a hole or a slot in the cylinder. And then create a flat pattern from that, I can not dimension it when I create the DWG. And I would assume that it is because when it is unrolled, any features created in the Cylinder would not come out straight. Like wise if I create them on the flat pattern they will not appear on the rolled feature.

I hope that didn’t confuse anyone. This is the last problem we are having before we go live with Inventor.

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: mdwildcat

>any features created in the Cylinder would not come out straight.

The correct proceedure for this has been covered here many many times in the past.

Attach what you have so far and I'll demonstrate the technique on your part.

>This is the last problem we are having before we go live with Inventor.

What version of Inventor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
refund_tx

I am not sure if I completely understood the issue, but at the risk...

Have you considered creating a rectangle with a Centerline (in Sheet Metal), revolve it 359.9 degrees. Pick the cylindrical face and the create a Flat Pattern. You can always adjust the views once inside the DWG if you aren't happy. Make sure that you specify Thickness for the width of the rectangle as the Unfold looks for that Parameter.

Keith
Message 4 of 14
JDMather

>Have you considered creating a rectangle with a Centerline (in Sheet Metal), revolve it 359.9 degrees.

You haven't addressed the holes in the side technique.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
refund_tx

Create the rectangle. Project the Origin Center Point. Draw the Center Line from the Projected Center Point. Dimension the rectangle from the Center Line and make the width = Thickness.
Revolve the rectangle around the center point. Create a work plane and pick the surface of the revolved cylinder and the desired origin work planes (yz, xz, xy). This will create a work plane tangent to the surface of the cylinder. Simple create a Sketch Plane place a Point or sketch a slot or anything. Use Hole for Hole or Extrude Cut and pick the inside face or through all or whatever. Edited by: refund_tx on Jun 16, 2009 1:46 PM
Message 6 of 14
refund_tx

Here is the ipt.
Message 7 of 14
dan_inv09

What version?
I believe I heard that 2010 would let you create features on the flat pattern and have them on the on the rolled part.

Not to be a jerk but you mention "Like wise if I create them on the flat pattern they will not appear on the rolled feature." if you can create them on the unrolled part, why can you not create them on the part before you roll it?

Just a thought, what happens if you create the cylinder as a surface, cut the slot, then thicken. Does that unroll properly?

You should include your part (roll back and zip) and/or some pictures (not bitmap) to give us a better idea of exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

[as I read this back it sounds really condescending, I do not mean it that way but I don't have the time to try and reword it. I hope you understand]
Message 8 of 14
JDMather

refund_tx

Your flat pattern isn't correct. How would you manufacture this? How does it solve the OP's problem description?

This problem has a long and well documented history on this forum. The solution is easy once it is understood. The solution might depend on whether using Inventor 2010 or earlier release.

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
refund_tx

Create the revolution as stated previously. (without the hole or slot)
Unfold
create sketch on the face and create your cut sketches
refold
select the cyl face
create flat pattern (NOT unfold)
Now you have the deformed folded model and and flat pattern
in the DWG you can place the folded and unfold versions.
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Ad JD stated ealier, this does not address the hole issues.
Your solution is incorrect.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
AIP 2008 SP3,
AIP 2009-SP1 PcCillin AV
AMD 64 x2 3.0 Ghz, 8GB RAM GeForce 9800GT 512MB

XP Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 11 of 14
refund_tx

I disagree. At least, based on my understanding of the issue, which is likely the problem. Try this edited part with added holes.
Message 12 of 14
ekercher

Give this one a try, created the cylinder first then used the Inventor 2010 unfold and refold commands. Flat pattern dimensions just fine.

Ed Kercher
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Sorry, based my reply on JD's posted image....

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
AIP 2008 SP3,
AIP 2009-SP1 PcCillin AV
AMD 64 x2 3.0 Ghz, 8GB RAM GeForce 9800GT 512MB

XP Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 14 of 14
JDMather

>I hope that didn’t confuse anyone. This is the last problem we are having before we go live with Inventor.

No further contribution to the discussion? Have you gotten all of your problems solved?

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report