Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rigid joint or insert constraint

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
terje.antonsen
2696 Views, 6 Replies

rigid joint or insert constraint

Couldn't find by searching, so I hope a new topic is OK. I suspect this has a short answer.

We don't use the content center, so All our rivets etc. are in a linked library. I have an assy with 100 rivets. 

Is the best practice to use the rigid joint now? Have previously used insert constrain. the difference is that the rivet doesn't rotate with joint. 

with constrain, it rotates, but cannot be seen, unless I use a textured appearance.

Are there advantages to loading and processing the model with rigid, as it doesn't rotate?

The odds for this model to ever enter dynamic simulation is low.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ravikmb5
in reply to: terje.antonsen

Are you using imates 

if yes 

imates still wont support joints

12-16-2013 7-47-01 PM.png

if no 

rigid joints are much easier

Please mark this response as Problem Solved if it answers your question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ravi Kumar MB,
i7 860 Dell Studio XPS Win 7 64 bit 12 Gb RAM & HP Z220 SFF Workstation
Autodesk Inventor Certified professional 2016
Email: ravikmb5@gmail.com

Message 3 of 7
blair
in reply to: ravikmb5

You do have the option to use the Joint with Rotate if that is what you want or Joint Rigid without rotation.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 7
blair
in reply to: blair

You can use either one, Joints or Constraints. It really doesn't make a difference to the model or if you will be using Dynamic-Sim or not. It's just another tool in your assembly environment. It really comes down to what works best for you.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7

If a part is insert constrained to another and I click and drag on one of them, will it be more easily computable with a rigid joint, as nothing rotates?
Message 6 of 7
blair

As you reduce degrees of freedom the model seems to respond faster, at least to me.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 7
t_stramr

Hi Terje,

You can understand joints as next step in constraints evolution. Lets say joints are "smarter" constraints. Each joint is constraining two origins where each origin represents a coordinate system defined by pick point, Gap direction(Z axis) and Alignment selection(X axis). Y axis can be easily calculated by right hand rule from Z and X. Joint provides more precise control over positioning of constrained instances.

For your case, Insert constraint can be replaced by Rotational joint which allows rotation around Z axis like an Insert. Rotational joint additonally provides control over rotation angle which can be measured or limited based on Alignment direction. You can specify angular data on Limits tab of Joint dialog box.

Robert

Joint1.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report