Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ribs on curved surface

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
rthakare
2467 Views, 8 Replies

Ribs on curved surface

Hi,

How do I draw ribs on a curved surface. Attached is model that I am working on and I need to create ribs on the curved surface in radial direction.

How do I do it?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
trumpy81
in reply to: rthakare

This is probably not what you had in mind, but hopefully it shows at least one technique.

See the attached part. (It's your part but modified)

BTW, your thread specification is out of whack, you may want to correct that.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 9
rthakare
in reply to: trumpy81

Hi,

Thakns, but I am looking these ribs in radial direction and not in axial direction. I am trying to model a part somilar to the one in attached picture. 

The base model is different but I want the similar type of ribs.

Yes, I know  the threads are way off on my model. I just did those to get basic concept out but was having hard time to model these ribs.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 9
trumpy81
in reply to: rthakare

If you use the technique I demonstrated for you, then you should be able to generate the desired ribs. You can use workplanes instead of the origin planes that I used, but other than that the process is much the same.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 5 of 9
bobvdd

I used a sweep with path and guide surface option and used a workplane as the guide surface.

To give the ribs a constant height, I had to trim away the excess material by doing a split with an offset surface.

Attached part is a 2013 part.

cable relief.JPG

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 6 of 9
trumpy81
in reply to: bobvdd

BobVDD, that is completely different to how I would have done it, but I have a question or 10 million .... lol

How do you control the height of the rib using the split tool?

I'm not too familiar with that tool, can you point me to some info/tutorials in using the split tool please?

Regards
Andy M
Message 7 of 9
bobvdd

Andy,

The offset surface command gives you full control over the offset distance from the base surface.

And it is that offset distance that determines the "rib" height. This ensures that the rib height is uniform across all ribs.

Here is a screenshot of the offset surface in yellow before I use it in the split operation. Note that I have a lot of excess material to cut away 🙂

offset_before_split.JPG

In the split operation that follows I use the second option (Trim solid).

To read up on the split command, have a look here in the wiki:

Split command

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 8 of 9
trumpy81
in reply to: bobvdd

BobVDD, thanks, that really explains a lot in using the split command. It seems that I still have a LOT of learning to do, but I'm getting there and enjoying every minute of it too ... Smiley Very Happy

I'll hit the Wiki soon and check it out, now if only I could get Inventor to extend the hours in a day ..... Smiley Very Happy

Regards
Andy M
Message 9 of 9
rthakare

Thanks a lot everybody.... 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report